Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Apospasmata Thread

The plan was only one rock a day, but Denny's got such an addictive personality. Now he has to cart home a half-dozen rocks every day just to maintain his habit. Every day the dishwasher is running and the kitchen counters are stpread with my mom's good bath towels covered with rocks so they can air-dry. Round gray rocks. Square black rocks. Broken brown and streaked yellow rocks. Travertine limestone. Every new batch that Denny brings home, he loads in the dishwasher and throws the clean, dry rocks from the day before into the basement.
    At first you can't see the basement floor because of all the rocks. Then the rocks are piling up around the bottom step. Then the basement's filled to halfway through the stairs. Now you open the basement door and the rocks piled inside spill out into the kitchen. Anymore, there is no basement.
    "Dude, this place is filling up", I say. "It feels like we're living in the bottom half of an hourglass"
    Like somehow we're running out of time.
    Being buried alive.

Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
    Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

compos mentis

Heaven was divinely merciful, infinitely benignant. It spared him,
    pardoned his weakness. But what was the scientific explanation
    (for one must be scientific above all things)? Why could he see
    through bodies, see into the future, when dogs will become men? It
    was the heat wave presumably, operating upon a brain made sensitive
    by eons of evolution. Scientifically speaking, the flesh was
    melted off the world. His body was macerated until only the nerve
    fibres were left. It was spread like a veil upon a rock.

He lay back in his chair, exhausted but upheld. He lay resting,
    waiting, before he again interpreted, with effort, with agony, to
    mankind. He lay very high, on the back of the world. The earth
    thrilled beneath him. Red flowers grew through his flesh; their
    stiff leaves rustled by his head. Music began clanging against the
    rocks up here. It is a motor horn down in the street, he muttered;
    but up here it cannoned from rock to rock, divided, met in shocks
    of sound which rose in smooth columns (that music should be visible
    was a discovery) and became an anthem, an anthem twined round now
    by a shepherd boy's piping (That's an old man playing a penny
    whistle by the public-house, he muttered) which, as the boy stood
    still came bubbling from his pipe, and then, as he climbed higher,
    made its exquisite plaint while the traffic passed beneath. This
    boy's elegy is played among the traffic, thought Septimus. Now he
    withdraws up into the snows, and roses hang about him--the thick
    red roses which grow on my bedroom wall, he reminded himself. The
    music stopped. He has his penny, he reasoned it out, and has gone
    on to the next public-house.

But he himself remained high on his rock, like a drowned sailor on
    a rock. I leant over the edge of the boat and fell down, he
    thought. I went under the sea. I have been dead, and yet am now
    alive, but let me rest still; he begged (he was talking to himself
    again--it was awful, awful!); and as, before waking, the voices of
    birds and the sound of wheels chime and chatter in a queer harmony,
    grow louder and louder and the sleeper feels himself drawing to the
    shores of life, so he felt himself drawing towards life, the sun
    growing hotter, cries sounding louder, something tremendous about
    to happen.

http://www.gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200991.txt

"I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not. I can believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and Marilyn Monroe and the Beatles and Elvis and Mister Ed. Listen - I believe that people are perfectible, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look wrinkledy lemurs and bad ones who mutilate cattle and want our water and our women. I believe that the future sucks and I believe that the future rocks and I believe that one day White Buffalo woman is going to come back and kick everyone's ass. I believe that all men are just overgrown boys with deep problems communicating and that the decline in good sex in America is coincident with the decline in drive-in movie theaters from state to state. I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative. I believe that California is going to sink into the sea when the big one comes, while Florida is going to dissolve into madness and alligators and toxic waste. I believe that antibacterial soap is destroying our resistance to dirt and disease so that one day we'll all be wiped out by the common cold like the Martians in War of the Worlds. I believe that the greatest poets of the last century were Edith Sitwell and Don Marquis, that jade is dried dragon sperm, and that thousands of years ago in a former life I was a one-armed Siberian shaman. I believe that mankind's destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it's aerodynamically impossible for a bumblebee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there's a cat in a box somewhere who's alive and dead at the same time (although if they don't ever open the box to feed it'll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself. I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn't even know that I'm alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise and sheer blind luck. I believe that anyone who says that sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too. I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman's right to choose, a baby's right to live, that while all human life is sacred there's nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicity, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system. I believe that life is a game, life is a cruel joke and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

Shadow almost took his hands off the wheel to applaud. Instead he said, "Okay. So if I tell you what I've learned you won't think that I'm a nut."

"Maybe," she said. "Try me."

"Would you believe that all the gods that people have ever imagined are still with us today?"

"...maybe."

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    I'll bury you in your god's fucked garden

για τον φάντανγκο,

I heard a joke once:
    Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci."
    Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

compos mentis

Default ΕΣΥ

Δύο μπουμπούκια παίζανε
    με νεράιδα ονειρεμένη
    ένα κλωνάρι έγειρε,

προσπέρασαν και χάιδεψαν
    μια αμυγδαλιά ανθισμένη.

Η σιωπή του κλωναριού
    ουδέποτε εισακούσθη
    μα ούτε και εθεάθη ον,
    να αφουγκραστεί τη λήθη.

Γιάννης Εμιρτζόγλου

Διονύσης Ρόδμανν Comte de Saint-Germain's Avatar

Το απόγευμα καθώς χάζευαν κάτω από την τέντα που είχαν στήσει για να τους προφυλάσσει από τον αυτοκρατορικό ήλιο, ο Άρεν ρώτησε, "Τι ψάχνουμε στο Λορμπάνερυ;"
    "Αυτό που ψάχνουμε",είπε ο Κίρκος.
    "Στην Ενλάντ", είπε ο Άρεν μετά από λίγο, "έχουμε μια ιστορία για ένα αγόρι που δάσκαλός του ήταν μια πέτρα".
    "Ναι; Και τι έμαθε;"
    "Να μην κάνει ερωτήσεις".

Ούρσουλα Λε Γκεν, Η πιο μακρινή ακτή

Απόσπασμα από το ημερολόγιο του αντισυνταγματάρχη Μέρβιν Γουίλετ Γκόνιν, ενός από τους πρώτους Βρετανούς στρατιώτες που έφτασαν στο ναζιστικό στρατόπεδο θανάτου Μπέργκεν-Μπέλσεν. Το στρατόπεδο απελευθερώθηκε τον Απρίλιο του 1945, προς το τέλος του ΄Β Παγκόσμιου Πολέμου.

“Μου είναι δύσκολο να περιγράψω το στρατόπεδο του τρόμου όπου εγώ και οι άνδρες μου θα περνούσαμε τον επόμενο μήνα της ζωής μας. Δεν ήταν παρά μια γυμνή έρημος, μια αλάνα. Παντού υπήρχαν πτώματα. Μερικά σχημάτιζαν τεράστιους σωρούς, ενώ άλλα κείτονταν μόνα τους ή ανά ζεύγη στο σημείο όπου είχαν πέσει.

Μου πήρε λίγο χρόνο μέχρι να συνηθίσω το θέαμα των ανδρών και των γυναικών που κατέρρεαν καθώς περνούσες από δίπλα τους και ότι έπρεπε να εμποδίζω τους άνδρες μου να στέρξουν σε βοήθειά τους. Ήξερες ότι πέθαιναν πεντακόσια άτομα την ημέρα και ότι αυτό θα συνεχιζόταν για βδομάδες, προτού μπορέσουμε να κάνουμε κάτι που θα είχε έστω και ελάχιστο αποτέλεσμα. Παρ’ όλα αυτά, δεν ήταν εύκολο να βλέπεις ένα παιδί να πεθαίνει από πνιγμό εξαιτίας της διφθερίτιδας, τη στιγμή που ήξερες ότι μια τραχειοτομή και λίγη ιατρική φροντίδα θα μπορούσαν να το σώσουν. Έβλεπες γυναίκες να πνίγονται στον ίδιο τους τον εμετό επειδή δεν είχαν τη δύναμη να γυρίσουν ανάσκελα και άνδρες να τρώνε σκουλήκια ενώ κρατούσαν στα χέρια τους μια φρατζόλα ψωμί, μόνο και μόνο επειδή είχαν αναγκαστεί να τρώνε σκουλήκια για να επιζήσουν και τώρα δεν μπορούσαν να διακρίνουν τη διαφορά.

Υπήρχαν σωροί από γυμνά πτώματα σε απρεπείς στάσεις. Μια γυναίκα πολύ αδύναμη για να σταθεί όρθια, στηριζόταν πάνω τους καθώς μαγείρευε το φαγητό που της είχαμε δώσει σε μία φωτιά. Άνδρες και γυναίκες κάθονταν όπου έβρισκαν για να ανακουφιστούν από τη δυσεντερία που τους θέριζε τα σωθικά. Μια γυναίκα στεκόταν ολόγυμνη και πλενόταν με κάποιο στρατιωτικό σαπούνι χρησιμοποιώντας νερό από το ντεπόζιτο που μέσα του κολυμπούσαν τα λείψανα ενός παιδιού.

Λίγο μετά την άφιξη του Βρετανικού Ερυθρού Σταυρού -αν και πιθανόν να μην υπάρχει σχέση- έφτασε στο στρατόπεδο μια τεράστια ποσότητα κραγιόν. Δεν ήταν βέβαια ακριβώς αυτό που θέλαμε, καθώς είχαμε μεγαλύτερη ανάγκη από χιλιάδες άλλα πράγματα, ούτε ξέρω ποιος ζήτησε κραγιόν. Μακάρι να μπορούσα να ανακαλύψω ποιος το έκανε, γιατί η κίνησή του ήταν μεγαλοφυής, ένα δείγμα ανώτερης ευφυίας. Πιστεύω ότι τίποτα δεν ωφέλησε περισσότερο αυτούς τους έγκλειστους απ΄ότι εκείνα τα κραγιόν. Οι γυναίκες ξάπλωναν στο κρεβάτι χωρίς σεντόνι και νυχτικό, αλλά με κατακόκκινα χείλη. Τις έβλεπες να περιφέρονται μόνο με μια κουβέρτα ανάριχτη στους ωμούς τους, αλλά με τα χείλη τους κατακόκκινα. Είδα γυναίκες νεκρές στο τραπέζι του νεκροτομείου να κρατούν σφιχτά ένα κομμάτι κραγιόν. Επιτέλους κάποιος είχε κάνει κάτι για να τους δώσει πίσω την προσωπικότητά τους, ήταν και πάλι άνθρωποι, όχι απλώς οι αριθμοί που είχαν ζωγραφισμένους με τατουάζ στα μπράτσα τους. Επιτέλους μπορούσαν να νοιαστούν για την εμφάνισή τους. Το κραγιόν άρχισε να τους δίνει πίσω την ανθρώπινη υπόσταση.
    Ξέρετε γιατί όταν κάνετε μπάνιο στον Αμαζόνιο πρέπει να φοράτε... προφυλακτικό;

http://www.trollart.com/sound/candiru/index.html

http://rockandecology.blogspot.com/

compos mentis

Η κυρία με αποκαλούσε σταυρό της, συμφορά της' εγώ την αποκαλούσα με το πρώτο επίθετο που μου ερχόταν στο μυαλό, και δεν καθόμουν να διαλέξω. Ο υπάλληλος με εξόργιζε, δεν μπορούσα να το χωνέψω. Τον έστελνα κάπου πιο μακριά; τον κούραζα. Αλήθεια, πια, έλεγε εκείνη με ευσπλαχνία, η οποία δεν νομίζω οτι θα ωφελήσει την ψυχή της, αλήθεια, θα το σκοτώσει πια αυτό το παιδί.
    Το ζώον αυτό αρρώστησε, και την επομένη με έπιασε και μένα πυρετός.
    Είχα υψηλό πυρετό' εμένα λοιπόν με περιποιούνταν οι υπηρέτες μου και η κυρία περιποιούνταν το κτήνος.
    Ο κύριος είναι ο αφέντης, έλεγε σχετικά με αυτό, φτάνει να διατάξει και έχει ό,τι θελήσει' το παιδί αυτό, όμως, ποιος θα το νοιαστεί αν εγώ το εγκαταλείψω; Έτσι λοιπόν, πάλι από ευσπλαχνία, με παραμελούσε.
    Η ξεδιαντροπιά της μπορεί και να μου έσωσε τη ζωή. Θίχτηκα τόσο πολύ, που έγινα καλά από τη λύσσα μου' και μόλις στάθηκα στα πόδια μου, το πρώτο σημάδι ανάρρωσής που έδειξα ήταν ότι πέταξα έξω το αντικείμενο της ευσπλαχνίας της' τον έστειλα αλλού να μείνει. Η θεούσα μου λύσσαξε από το κακό της, και ήρθε έξαλλη να μου ζητήσει το λόγο.
    Τα αντιλαμβάνομαι τα κίνητρά σας, μου λέει' με προσβάλλετε, κύριε, οι πρόστυχες υποψίες σας είναι ξεκάθαρες, και ο Θεός θα σας τιμωρήσει, ο Θεός θα σας τιμωρήσει.
    Αυτές οι προβλέψεις μου κακοφανήκαν' αυτή τις έκανε εν εξάλλω καταστάσει, εγώ απάντησα σαν κτήνος. Παναθεμά με! της λέω, σιγά μην τα χαλάσω με το Θεό επειδή έδιωξα τον κατεργάρη. Εμπρός, φύγετε από δω και εσείς και η αμφίβολη ευσέβειά σας' μη μου ανάβετε τα αίματα, και αφήστε με ήσυχο.

Marivaux- O νεόπολουτος χωριάτης
    μτφ: Τιτίκα Δημητρούλια

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She continued, in a dreary and lamentable tone:—

"Oh! Monsieur, times are so hard! and then, we have so few bourgeois in the neighborhood! All the people are poor, you see. If we had not, now and then, some rich and generous travellers like Monsieur, we should not get along at all. We have so many expenses. Just see, that child is costing us our very eyes."

"What child?"

"Why, the little one, you know! Cosette—the Lark, as she is called hereabouts!"

"Ah!" said the man.

She went on:—

"How stupid these peasants are with their nicknames! She has more the air of a bat than of a lark. You see, sir, we do not ask charity, and we cannot bestow it. We earn nothing and we have to pay out a great deal. The license, the imposts, the door and window tax, the hundredths! Monsieur is aware that the government demands a terrible deal of money. And then, I have my daughters. I have no need to bring up other people's children."

The man resumed, in that voice which he strove to render indifferent, and in which there lingered a tremor:—

"What if one were to rid you of her?"

"Who? Cosette?"

"Yes."

The landlady's red and violent face brightened up hideously.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/135/135-h/135-h.htm
    Last edited by menumission; 08-01-2011 at 20:38.

...ζήσε τη ζωή σου ελεύθερα. Κι όταν τσακίζεσαι να χεις το θάρρος να λες "με γεια μου με χαρά μου, φτου κι απ την αρχή τώρα"....

Το Χρώμα του Φεγγαριού - Α. Παπαδάκη

compos mentis
    Last edited by menumission; 13-02-2011 at 18:08.

Quote Originally Posted by electra View Post
    ...ζήσε τη ζωή σου ελεύθερα. Κι όταν τσακίζεσαι να χεις το θάρρος να λες "με γεια μου με χαρά μου, φτου κι απ την αρχή τώρα"....

Το Χρώμα του Φεγγαριού - Α. Παπαδάκη
    Ποιος σε πείραξε ΚΑΥΛΑ μου;
    I went down into the valley to pray.
    I got drunk and I stayed all day.

Δεν ξέχασα ποτέ τη σπουδαιότητα
    της επικαιρικής ποίησης
    ούτε της εύληπτης γραφής.
    Να λοιπόν ένας στίχος
    σημερινός, ευκολονόητος
    και πανελλήνιος:
    «Τί λέτε ρε μαλάκες!»

Tίτος Πατρίκιος