Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you turn to Spiritual Beggars?

Default How did you turn to Spiritual Beggars?

Something I have always wanted to publically ask you, mates...
    This is my, not so wonderous, but anyway..., story.
    Probably autumn of 1996. I am heavily into progressive metal. It's the most daring and qualitant edition of metal around, there's no doubt and it's the peak of it all.But being true to my roots and adolescent loves, I always seek after hard rock the old way and dirty,raw, unpolished material. Grunge isn't much to me, maybe with the exception of Alice in Chains or Soundgarden, but then they are too up to date for a musical style that blossomed in the early seventies...I see an interview of a band named Spiritual Beggars. Immediately I show interest, the name has something magical in it! Then the pictures of the threesome...hair, jagged edges, vintage looks and retro cool attitude. Also, the fact that they were a trio, like Experience, Mahogany Rush, Cream or Electric Sun.
    I read the interview and think, ok this must be something for me. I read a critique on their new then album "Another Way to Shine" and I decide although there's a comparison with Monster Magnet and Kyuss, to go out and buy the record.
    A big step for me at the time. I never could have known that I would become so heavily obsessed with Spiritual Beggars. If I knew earlier, maybe I wouldn't buy the CD.
    What about you?
    Monday morning I open a beer and light a cigar, put my pen to paper and write, I hate you all.
    www.insidecharmers.com

I read your review about "Mantra III" and bought it after asking your brother 4544654 times if i am going to like it (and if it reminds Black Sabbath very much) ..
    There you are .
    YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. YOU ARE NOT BEAUTIFUL OR UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE. YOU'RE THE SAME DECAYING ORGANIC MATTER AS EVERYTHING ELSE. YOU ARE THE ALL-SINGING, ALL-DANCING CRAP OF THE WORLD.

HIPPIE METAL OR NO METAL AT ALL

That was a pretty lousy review and my brother should have know better than that!
    Monday morning I open a beer and light a cigar, put my pen to paper and write, I hate you all.
    www.insidecharmers.com

Buddy Lackey had tried to convince me bout Beggars several times in the past, but I didn't pay any attention. Then, just a little before and when "On Fire" was been released, I got stuck with all SB works. The final hit was that Rodon night, a year ago...
    fuck! \m/

■■

I listened to them one year after the release of Ad Astra. All started when I took the MH magazine and saw the review and the (second) position of their album in the results of the lists of magazine's reporters. Then I read some interviews of the band and listened the songs "save my soul" and "Blind Mountain" so that's it! I "run" to the shop and grabbed their album. It was a really good kick in the balls! It's my favourite till nowadays! I hope their new one will be better (I know its difficult though )

...And the trip was just began...

We are left alone staring into the abyss, into the laughing face of madness.

My story is not much different. Well, I had heard a lot of that band and the music they played so I decided to download some tracks to listen with my own ears what kind of music they played. The first track I downloaded was Lack of Prozac. I liked it very much and I searched for more tracks. Afterwards, I got the whole album Ad Astra, then Mantra and Another Way to Shine. When Spiritual Beggars released On Fire, I bought it at once with no second thought. The more I listened to the albums of that band, the more I liked them!
    Then, I searched their website, I found out that a fanclub was about to getting started here in Greece, I became a member of it and finally I saw them playing live in a gig that was definitely one of the best gigs I've been so far!
    Since then they've become one of my favourite bands.
    I'm looking forward to listening to the new album really soon! I'm sure it's gonna be a masterpiece like the previous ones!
    Cheers!
    YOU DONT FIND YOUR WAY, THE WAY FINDS YOU...

I've been reading about them for a long time but never payed any attention, I don't know why. Well, when Ad Astra was released and everybody kept praising them, I thought to myself that it was about time I gave them a try. Yeh, so this is it more or less. Nothing spectacular really
    Who knows where the days go
    And would you ever want them back

It was when cancer appeared.
    = = =

= = =

for me it is not a long story indeed...sometime in 2001...angel of betrayal...you know the drill!!I was fascinated by this magical heavy guitar sound...
    The Band is Playing...

Review(extremely positive) in Greek M.H. mag. Nevertheless i didn't mind too much unti?l Pyroskis said good things about them on 'CALL ME NOW, 8253894'. Consequently(Red Army General Sugarov is my hero!) i bought another way to shine in order to have something which would remind me of him to listen to while i improvised in high-school geomerty(THis is insane,he gets to wear make-up for work! cf.skottland.)

lyssna pa honom!

hej
    FALSE metaller

it wasn't a lousy review.(jag tycker att den var helt fantastis kai den 3erw an einai en le3h alla xalali!the one for lightning is better+Kara-o-lides writes amazing revs as well.)
    FALSE metaller

oh,+wouldn't be(?) anymore if it wasn't 4 them.
    FALSE metaller

Yes yes(Eric Forman),i forgot the 'k'. Yes yes.
    FALSE metaller

huh?

We are left alone staring into the abyss, into the laughing face of madness.

i don't remember.maybe it was miracle.
    1) e4, c5
    2) Νf3