Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Hornby

Βρειτε μου το Χαι Φιντελ Καστρελιτυ τωρα.
    when it goes to .999 then I rise and there I shine

Ξεκίνησα το The Polysyllabic Spree.

Έχω να πω πως ο Χόρνμπυ είναι θεός.

Δεν το περιμένατε.

Το Polysyllabic Spree είναι συλλογή από κειμενάκια που έγραφε (γράφει;) σε μια στήλη στο Believer (αμερικάνικο περιοδικό) για λογοτεχνία. Κάθε μήνα γράφει τι βιβλία αγόρασε και τι βιβλία διάβασε, και γενικά σχολιάζει περί ανέμων και υδάτων, ανάμεσα στο λογοτεχνικό μπλαμπλα. Πάντα θεός.

I do seem, however, to have spent a disproportionate amount of time reading about Stuyvensant High School this month. That's where Dylan Ebdus escapes to, and it's also where Frank Conroy went when he could be bothered. I'm guessing that Stuyvensant is decent enough, but I'm sure its students would be perplexed to hear that an Englishman spent an entire holiday in France reading about alumni both fictional and real. I even ended up checking out the Stuyvensant website, just to see what the place looked like. (It looked like a high school.)

This is a painful, brave, poetic and definitive book, and though it has its flaws, [...] the right reader will not only forgive them but love them - just as the right listener loves the flaws in, say, The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle.

Zoe Heller's Notes on a Scandal [...] was moving along nicely until a character starts talking about football. He tells a teaching colleague that he's been to see Arsenal, and that "Arsenal won Liverpool 3-0". Readers of this column will have realised by now that I know almost nothing about anything, but if I were forced to declare an area of expertise, it would be what people say to each other after football matches. It's not much, I know, but it's mine. And I am positive that no one has ever said "Arsenal won Liverpool 3-0" in the entire history of either Arsenal Football Club or the English language. "Beat", "thrashed", "did" or "done", "trounced", "thumped", "shat all over", "walloped", etc, yes; "won", emphatically, no.

Έβαλα λίγο απ' όλα για να είμαι μέσα στο πνεύμα.

www.nickhornby.co.uk
    Last edited by morphine; 03-10-2009 at 03:04.
    a monkey in silk is a monkey no less

how can we hang on to a dream,
    how can it ever be the way it seems?

from the dark end of the street
    to the bright side of the road

είμαι πολύ χαρούμενος
    περιμένω σε λίγες μέρες να φτάσει η καινούρια, γαμάτη, limited έκδοση του Fever Pitch από την Arsenal και σκέφτηκα ότι έπρεπε να ξαναέρθει πάνω-πάνω το καλύτερο τόπικ του ER :ρ
    ~
    "Why didn't it kill him?" she said.
    "Unforgivably sloppy workmanship at the hand grenade factory," I said.
    ~

post pics.

Nick σε αγαπάμε. Διαπίστωσα σήμερα πως στον ελευθερουδάκη έφεραν πολλά πολλά speaking with the angel (και πολλά πολλά in cold blood αλλά αυτό είναι άσχετο) οπότε πρέπει να αγορασθεί και να διαβασθεί λίαν συντόμως. Επίσης έχω παρατηρήσει ότι δε βρίσκεται το high fidelity. Να ετοιμάζουν καμιά καινούρια έκδοση; Ή αγοράστηκαν όλα επειδή είναι τέλειο; οεο;

Υγ: Η ΚΑΘΟΔΟΣ ΤΩΝ ΤΕΣΣΑΡΩΝ

Πήρα πριν από κάνα δίμηνο το Για Ενα Αγόρι, αλλά δεν έχω βρει τον χρόνο να το διαβάσω ακόμα.

Θα πάρει σειρά σύντομα πάντως, μαζί με τη Θάλασσα του Μπάνβιλ.
    Deep in the night
    underneath the darkest skies
    searching for a sign or some distant light
    Screaming yet unheard
    repeating every line
    and every final word

They remain, they remain
    you still remain
    All these words and memories
    and everything you were to me
    they remain, they remain
    you still remain

ωραία, να διαβάσεις πρώτα τη θάλασσα, να πάθεις κατάθλιψη και να θες να κόψεις τις φλέβες σου (φανταστικό βιβλίο πάντως) και μετά να διαβάσεις το about a boy που θα σου φτιάξει λίγο τη διάθεση, από τη μέση και μετά μάλλον.

In his latest collection of essays, critic and author Nick Hornby continues the feverish survey of his swollen bookshelves, offering funny, intelligent, and unblinkered accounts of the stuff he’s been reading. Ranging far and wide from the middlebrow, Hornby’s dispatches from his nightstand serve as invaluable guides to contemporary letters, with revelations on the intellectual scene and English football in equal measure.

Printed monthly in the Believer, Hornby’s book reviews are suffused with wit, ire, and loving insight, and his choices often strike into the deeper, odder reaches of the literary world. He is as adamant about the experience of reading a book as he is about the importance of the book itself, and can be trusted to point out which books are ridiculously unfunny, which books can be read incognito for their naughtiness, and, most urgently, which books can bring themselves “all the way through the long march to your soul.”

10 Σεπτεμβρίου κοντά σας
    ~
    "Why didn't it kill him?" she said.
    "Unforgivably sloppy workmanship at the hand grenade factory," I said.
    ~

_UnHoLyMaRtYr_

Ξεκίνησα κι εγώ με το Fever Pitch (έχοντας δει το High Fidelity και το About a boy παλιότερα, αν και θέλω να τα διαβάσω τώρα) και ομολογώ πως με ενθουσίασε και με άρεσε. Το A Long way down το είχα σταμπάρει καιρό πριν αλλά δεν το πήρα. Για πείτε τι λέει αυτό.

διάβασέ το, αλλά μετά το χαι φιντέλιτη. Εκτός αν θες πρώτα τα οκ για να περάσεις μετά στα καλά.

Γιά πείτε να βρούμε κανα pdf να εκμεταλλευτούμε τις εκτυπώσεις της σχολής.
    The commune crap, camp bop, middle-class, flip-flop
    the queen is dead, boys

ουσιαστικά σας ρωτάω που θα βρούμε, ε
    The commune crap, camp bop, middle-class, flip-flop
    the queen is dead, boys

8α το αγοράσεις αδελφέ μου.
    8α το αγοράσεις.

To Fever Pitch κυκλοφορεί στην Ελλάδα (μεταφρασμένο στα ελληνικά, εννοείται); Ρωτάω γιατί το έψαχνα μανιωδώς πριν από καιρό και δεν το έβρισκα.
    Deep in the night
    underneath the darkest skies
    searching for a sign or some distant light
    Screaming yet unheard
    repeating every line
    and every final word

They remain, they remain
    you still remain
    All these words and memories
    and everything you were to me
    they remain, they remain
    you still remain

Quote Originally Posted by eleventh guardian
    To Fever Pitch κυκλοφορεί στην Ελλάδα (μεταφρασμένο στα ελληνικά, εννοείται); Ρωτάω γιατί το έψαχνα μανιωδώς πριν από καιρό και δεν το έβρισκα.
    ναι, αλλά αν θες την άποψή μου, η μετάφραση είναι αρκετά κακή. Ο πυρετός της μπάλας λέγεται και πρόσφατα βγήκε και σε καινούρια έκδοση. Πάρ'το εγγλέζικο, δε συγκρίνεται.