Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THERION - Lemuria & Sirius B (2004)

Default THERION - Lemuria & Sirius B (2004)

THERION – “Lemuria & Sirius B”

(Nuclear Blast)
    Running Time : 42:41 & 56:59

THERION return to the forefront, after quite a while. It’s been almost 3 years since their last effort, “Secret of the runes”. So what the heck has been going on in Kliffoth, all that time. Well three albums were composed in the interim and here we have two o them. THERION have embraced their metal rules more this time, while maintaining the classical edge as well. The albums have a rather separate sense of identity. “Lemuria” is a rather pompous and metallic variant, perhaps close to “Theli” with hints of “Vovin” and a couple of surprises, thrown in for good measure. “Sirius” has a totally different ambience and is more like a twisted classical soundtrack of a really wicked out worldly movie. Both albums require consecutive listens to be fully understood and appreciated. While in albums like “Deggial” the hooks were big and the songs where mega-catchy, here things are a little more subtle but also a lot more engrossing, once one has delved into the depths of the album. The albums draw inspiration from classical music, 70s prog and 80s metal. The fusion of all this elements is done in a really harmonious way. The metallic elements do not override the orchestral arrangements and a choir comes lightly in, in places and just adds an air of grace and splendor. But lets take a closer look at the new “master-work” of Christopher Johnson.
    “Typhon” – a reference to Greek mythology is a nice way to open the proceedings. One thing that immediately catches the listeners attention is the inclusion of death metal style vocals, something that the band hasn’t incorporated in their music in a long time. It’s a rather weird choice for an opener as it’s not mega catchy, and is rather twisted in a lot of ways. But a beautiful solo and some nice rhythm stuff really get the track going. “Urthak runa” begins with a nice intro, breaks into some nice choir stuff has a far better chorus than the opener with some excellent eastern melodies and a power metal finish. It’s funny how the change in styles seems to be flowing effortlessly after a while. And on we go to the “Three ships of Berik”, in two parts. An amazing intro with the choir as usual taking over. Then a part that reminded me very much of CREMOTORY circa their “Awake” era complete with some death metal vocals as well. And a repetition of the opening motif. Then the second part entitled is a triumphant horn laden paean to the victory of Berik. A really magnificent way to climax. “Lemuria” follows in an acoustic mood, with acoustic guitars taking over. A mix of the choir over some really nice acoustic theme, leads to a vocal lead, very much in the early SCORPIONS vein, a really dreamy piece. “Quetzalcoatl” – the feathered snake of Ancient Mexico, begins with a scorching Riff, reminiscent of something like “In the Desert of Set” from “Theli”, but slows down and repeats a catchy motif a couple of times. Funnily enough there’s a Balalaika there for a short bit. Interesting. “The Dreams of Swedenborg” One of the best songs on offer. It’s almost like a reprise of Scorpions “Fly to the rainbow” well not a reprise, but it creates exactly the same wicked vibe as “Fly to the rainbow” Most excellent, I m lost for words. BRAVO! Hurray! Hats off! After that moment of glory follows “Arrows from the sun”. Hm. Nice intro and built, nice riff and everything, until a baritone comes in and he sounds a bit over the top in places. It creates a stark contrast with the soprano vocals that precede and follow his part. More choirs and another awesome part with a balalaika, there should have been more of that! Over all it’s very nice. “Abraxas” is more metal, another inspired riff, nothing amazing happening, but still a worthwhile inclusion. Finally what concludes “Lemuria” is “Feuer Overtüre/Prometheus entfesselt”, I think it must mean , The overture of Fire, Prometheus Bound. A song about Prometheus stealing the fire from the gods and giving it to man, but why in German ? Anyhow, another awesome piece with a very prominent lead. Did I even mention that it’s beginning reminds me strongly of “The wings of the Hydra” from “Lepaca Kliffoth” ? Pretty good way to finish a fine selection of music. On to Sirius B now. Not as pompous as “Lemuria”, but if given enough listens just as rewarding. It has a vibe more akin to that of a soundtrack. It begins with a power metal song in “Blood of Kingu”, with a chorus chanted by sopranos. Weird but nice. Nice little solo before the close. “Son of the sun” is up next, an ok song with a great intro and a nice riff, but it plods a bit at five minutes, but if you could think of it in the context of a movie, it would have been more fitting. “The Khlysti Evangelist” begins with a male lead in what seems to be as a intro played of from an old vinyl complete with cracks and pops. It then goes classical and ends up as an almost epic metal piece. A Rather weird piece about Grigori Yefimovitch Rasputin who was a part of the Khlysti sect, believing that all human desires should be fulfilled. Indeed. The song covers a darker side of the life of one of the most famous figures of the modern history. “Dark Venus Persephone” is cool, basing it self on a nice motif, a phased out choir a soprano and the damn baritone. I can’t stand him. It’s not too bad however. I will not even begin to try and describe Kali Yaga Parts 1 & 2. A weird mix of phased choirs, lead parts, a nice little riff , but just too chaotic for me, the second part is a bit more structured, but still the mix of almost all the elements of the album in the most chaotic way is not really an appealing idea to me. “The wondrous world of Punt” comes, complete with church organ and everything, mainly based on choirs and classical leads, with a little electric part towards the end and more of that Balalaika. You got to love this stuff. “Melek Taus” another classical influenced track with the wickedest ending I wont spoil you the surprise, by telling you it slows down to a halt (Did I just do that ? Oops. I did it again !). “Call of Dagon”, probably influenced by the Lovecraft stories, is an amazing piece, with a beautiful brasses, announcing it, really gloomy, with female vocals and choirs taking it through, along with some really haunting flutes and strings. Really epic and magnificent. “Sirius B” is nice and although it’s a bit downbeat it is hypnotizing and commanding, perhaps the closest thing in the album to a soundtrack. It’s really gloomy and claustrophobic. “The voyage of Gurdjieff” that closes the album is really beautiful, starting with a solo part very reminiscent of Italian operas, then reprising it’s main theme in a frenzied power metal way, then doing the same with both the band and the choir as it builds and builds, before a small lead takes place while the song still builds and gets a bit faster and more glorious, until it finally dies down to a peaceful female laden outro. Really Great stuff. Well I ‘d dare say that THERION provide us with an epitome of their sound in this double offering which will be available for the price of a single CD. The number of glorious, pompous numbers on this selection is vast and if you like classically tinged and progressive metal it would be criminal not to own this double whammy bar of classical metal splendor. SUPERB!!

Lemuria : 9/10
    Sirius B : 8/10
    Last edited by antimusic; 19-03-2012 at 10:18.
    There is a statue of a BUDDA in my driveway
    Rigid and stiff
    That's where the birds shit
    And he deserves it
    Me, like a blade of grass
    I bend profoundly
    No raindrops on me
    The wind blows 'round me

ta spaw ta spaeis ta spaei, spasimpa

i kritiki epitropi ton kritikon

apton seirio hrthan oi progonoi mas.. oi arxaioi ellhnes..
    apo thn lemouria oi lemourioi?

btw tous exei prolavei sto name o papazoglou pou xei vgalei album pou legete..
    exei paidia ston seirio..
    to piasate to uponooumeno paianes mou??

mystes kietsi
    σηκωσες λιγο την μπλουζιτσα και υποψιαστηκα οτι εισαι ο φρικ. Σε λιγα δευτερολεπτα ειχα μαθει την τραγικη αληθεια.Δεν ξερω αν προσεξες την απογοητευση στo προσωπο μου..
    http://stresss.deviantart.com
    http://www.myspace.com/posteke
    Yesterday 19:29 <menumission> de mporeis na kaneis ignore ton eauto sou sto tsat molis to dokimasa

στο θεωρητικό παρκούρ δίνω οστά και σάρκα,απο εμπόδιο σ΄ εμπόδιο πετάγομαι για πλάκα Άκου τον Φόρη and don't worry

Default Re: THERION &#8211; &#8220;Lemuria & Sirius B&am

Ta didyma albums ayta kykloforhsan stis 24 Maioy edw sth Germania opou briskomai. Den 3erw Ellada se ti morfh kykloforhsan, alla edw bghkan se deluxe edition, kollhmena san siamezika.

Oi Therion einai apo ta agaphmena mou sygkrothmata kai oi prosdikies mou megales ka8e fora. H kritikh moy pou para8etw akoloz8ei meta apo epanhlhmmenes akroaseis apo th Deytera.

The good news:
    1. Oi Therion den epanalambanontai edw. mporei bebaiws eykola kaneis na pei amesws:" ayto einai Therion" alla diathroun mia aytoteleia sth melwdia toys, ayto einai profaneis kai kaneis den 8a kathgorhsei ton Johnsson. Anti8etws, prepei na ton sygxaroume kiolas.

2. H paragwgh einai terastia. Mono h xorwdia kai h orxhstra(h hxografhsh twn opoiwn egine sthn Praga) ari8moun 150 atoma. Xwria oi solists, ta male matal lead vocals kai h ypoloiph parea toy Johnsson.

3. Poly kalo artwork. Ka8e tragoudi kai idiaiterh selida empneysmanh apo to periexomeno.

4. Ellhnika 8emata, ontws: Persefonh, Promh8eas, Apollonas...

The bad news:

1. Kakos hxos pou den anadeiknyei th xorwdia kai thn orxhstra oso eprepe. GIATI GIATI GIATI??????? To apotelesma pou 8a akousete adikei thn toso ploysia paragwgh. Gia ena tetoio apotelesma den xreiazotan na tre3oun mexri thn Praga. Me kalo software kai 8a mporousan na anaparagoun akribws ena tetoio apotelesma ston ypologisth!!! Krima, giati den ma8ainoun apo ta la8h toys? Ftaiei h Nuclear Blast?

2. Oi solo soprano den einai kai tipota idiaitero. Exw akousi POLLH klasikh sth zwh moy, eimai kai egw mia, kai, epomenws eimai se 8esh na krinw oti 8a mporousan na paroun kai kalyteres. H Martina kai h Sarah den eixan klassikh paideia. Ara den mporouses na exeis polles apaithseis, alla apo aytes edw, mporeis. Anti8etws oi solo alto einai poly kales kai yposthrizoun tis soprano kala, otan tyxei.

H dikh mou a3iologhsh:
    Lemuria: 7/10
    Sirius B: 8/10
    Mille anni passi sunt...

aMA DEN TRABIONTOUSAN STIN PRAGA THA POULOUSAN LIGOTERO GIAfTO.
    = = =

= = =

Quote Originally Posted by eyeamflesch
    aMA DEN TRABIONTOUSAN STIN PRAGA THA POULOUSAN LIGOTERO GIAfTO.
    Siga re file. Kaneis poy 8a agorasei CD twn Therion den 8a to parei gia thn hxografhsh sthn Praga!!!!!!!!!!!!BElieve me. Johnsson na
    Mille anni passi sunt...

epeidh ekana kai synenteuksh me ton theio, to noumero pou grafei mesa einai lathos. grapsane merikous 2 fores.
    There is a statue of a BUDDA in my driveway
    Rigid and stiff
    That's where the birds shit
    And he deserves it
    Me, like a blade of grass
    I bend profoundly
    No raindrops on me
    The wind blows 'round me

ta spaw ta spaeis ta spaei, spasimpa

Χμ, εγώ τα πήρα σήμερα. Ο ήχος δεν ξέρω γιατί δε σου αρέσει. Εγώ γουστάρω πάρα πολύ γιατί ακούγονται πιο "ατμοσφαιρικά" τόσο τα όργανα όσο και η χορωδία. Δλδ για αυτό που επιχειρεί να κάνει, μου ακούγεται ιδανικός ο ήχος. Τα δισκάκια περιττό να πω ότι γαμούν. Το Lemuria είναι πιο κοντά σε αυτό που μου αρέσει και το Sirius B για ψιλο-άλλες φάσεις, όμως και τα δύο είναι εντελώς G. Anyway, βαριέμαι να γράψω τώρα ε.
    Who knows where the days go
    And would you ever want them back

Quote Originally Posted by The_Painless
    Χμ, εγώ τα πήρα σήμερα.
    Pou ta vrhkes? Giati perasa kai shmera to prwi apo to Metropolis kai den ta vrhka.
    "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things".
    George Carlin

Τα έχει φέρει το Era εδώ και λίγες μέρες (τη συσκευασία και με τα δυο album μαζί)... Και μόνο το γεγονός ότι δεν έκαναν μια από τα ίδια είναι πολύ θετικό... Προσωπικά δηλώνω ιδιαίτερα εντυπωσιασμένος από το αποτέλεσμα... Διπλό album που δε κουράζει σε καμία στιγμή, ενώ αντίθετα πολλές φορές σε αφήνει κάγγελο με αυτά που ακούς... Λίγο καλύτερο το Lemuria κατά τη γνώμη μου, κυρίως γιατί από ένα σημείο και μετά οι συνθέσεις που περιέχει είναι εκπληκτικές... Το artwork, και γενικότερα η συσκευασία είναι άκρως εντυπωσιακά... Αλλά, θέλει πολύ χρόνο μέχρι να το αφομοιώσεις, πράγμα που δεν είναι καθόλου κακό βέβαια...
    and light it up forever, and never go to sleep

otan paizoun fragka paizei na to parw. oti exw akousei ws twra, apto lemuria mono ypo8etw, gamevei + poly deleastikh timh + yperoxo artwork/syskeyasia. g.

■■

Pira to diplo pou eixe mono 19 Euro. Kali kavantza kai mono gi auto tous dino ena bravo.

Akousa prota to Lemuria kai meta to Sirius B. De xero giati alla eno to Sirius B to theoro apisteuto album kai tha to akouo gia polu kairo akoma, to Lemuria mou ekatse ligaki pio metrio, isos logo 2-3 kommation (aparadekta ta kafrika fonitika tou Jonson) alla boro na po pos to sunoliko apotelesma einai gamato. Exo xehorisei kai merika tragoudia idi pou kologoustaro...

Kali Yuga Parts 1 kai 2, The Wondrous World of Punt, Melek Taus, Uthark Runa, Lemuria, The Dreams Of Swedenborg (epos) kai Feuer Overture ta kologoustaro os tora. Telos panton, to mono pou den katalavaino einai pos lete oti den paizoun ta idia... an exaireseis pou kana 2 tragoudia exoun mantolino den uparxei kai tipota pou na min exoume akousei se Theli, Vovin, Deggial kai Secret of The Runes. Alla de me xalaei katholou auto.

Episis ithela na po oti o ixos einai gamatos kai aporo pos ginetai na vriskei kapoios asximi autin tin paragogi, toulaxiston den einai san tin entelos moufa paragogi sto Secret Of The Runes me tis polu varies kithares pou den eixan kanena noima... Mesa grafei oti kapoia kommatia kai oi xorodies ixografithikan Septemvrio/Oktovrio 2004, kati mou diafeugei mallon...

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer
    Episis ithela na po oti o ixos einai gamatos kai aporo pos ginetai na vriskei kapoios asximi autin tin paragogi
    Kaneis den eipe oti h paragwgh einai kakh. H paragwgh einai poly kalh, ta album ayta einai ena apo ta kalytera twn teleytaiwn xronwn !!!

Exeis dikio, to booklet periexei tetoia la8h. Blepe kai dhmosieysh toy filoy rockavlon parapanw, oti dhladh merika onomata ta symperielaban dyo fores sto booklet.
    Mille anni passi sunt...

Ta agorasa pses. Gia prwto akousma,kala mou fanhkane kai h paragwgh einai polu kalh.
    "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things".
    George Carlin