Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H. Murakami.

Default H. Murakami.

ti kserete gia dayton.

proteinete vivlia ktl.
    I went down into the valley to pray.
    I got drunk and I stayed all day.

Haruki Murakami (村上春樹, Murakami Haruki?, born January 12, 1949) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described by the Virginia Quarterly Review as "easily accessible, yet profoundly complex."

Biography

Murakami was born in Kyoto in 1949 but spent most of his youth in Kobe. His father was the son of a Buddhist priest. His mother was the daughter of a merchant from Osaka. They both taught Japanese literature.

Since his early years as a child Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly in terms of Western music and literature. He grew up reading everything from the works of American writers such as Vonnegut and Brautigan, to Dostoyevsky and Balzac, and he is often distinguished from other Japanese writers for his western influences. Japanese literature often puts emphasis on beautiful language, which can result in stiff, restricted composition, while Murakami's style is relatively free and fluid.

Murakami studied drama at Waseda University in Tokyo where he met his wife, Yoko. His first job was in a record store (which is where one of his main characters, Toru Watanabe from Norwegian Wood, works). Shortly after finishing his studies, Murakami opened the jazz bar "Peter Cat" in Tokyo, which he ran from 1974-1982. Many of his novels have musical themes and titles referring to a particular song, including Dance, Dance, Dance (from The Dells), Norwegian Wood (after the Beatles song) and South of the Border, West of the Sun (the first part being the title of a song by Nat King Cole).

"Trilogy of the Rat"

Murakami wrote his first fiction when he was 29. He said he was suddenly and inexplicably inspired to write his first novel (Hear the Wind Sing, 1979) while watching a baseball game. Murakami worked on it for several months in very brief stretches after working days at the bar (resulting in a fragmented, jumpy text in short chapters). After finishing, he sent his novel to the only literary contest that would accept a work of that length, and won first prize. Even in this first work many of the basic elements of Murakami's mature writing are in place: Westernized style, idiosyncratic humor, and poignant nostalgia.

His initial success encouraged him to keep writing. A year later he published Pinball, 1973, a sequel. In 1982 he published A Wild Sheep Chase, a critical success, which makes original use of fantastic elements and has a uniquely disconnected plot. Hear the Wind Sing, Pinball and A Wild Sheep Chase form the "Trilogy of the Rat" (a sequel, Dance, Dance, Dance, was later written but is not considered part of the series), centered on the same unnamed narrator and his friend called "the Rat". However, his first two novels are out of print in English translation outside of Japan. According to Murakami (Publishers Weekly, 1991), he considers his first two novels "weak," and was not eager to have them translated into English. A Wild Sheep Chase was "the first book where I could feel a kind of sensation, the joy of telling a story. When you read a good story, you just keep reading. When I write a good story, I just keep writing."

Wider recognition

In 1985 he wrote Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, a dreamlike fantasy which takes the magical elements in his work to a new extreme.

Murakami achieved a major breakthrough and national recognition in 1987 with the publication of Norwegian Wood, a nostalgic story of loss and sexuality. It sold millions of copies among Japanese youth, making Murakami something of a superstar in his native country (to his dismay). The book was printed in two separate parts, sold together. One book had a green cover, the other a red one. Some hardcore fans of the book wore clothing of one colour to show their preference for that part.[citation needed] In 1986, Murakami left Japan, travelled throughout Europe, and settled in the United States.

Murakami taught at Princeton University in Princeton, NJ and at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts. During this time he wrote Dance, Dance, Dance and South of the Border, West of the Sun.

An established novelist

In 1994/1995 he published The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. This novel fuses his realistic and fantastic tendencies, and contains elements of physical violence. It is also more socially conscious than his previous work, dealing in part with the difficult topic of the war crimes in Manchuria (Manchukuo). The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is frequently cited by critics as Murakami's best work. It won him the Yomiuri Literary Award, awarded to him by one of his harshest former critics, Kenzaburo Oe.

The processing of collective trauma soon took a central position in Murakami's writing, which had until then been more personal in nature. While he was finishing The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Japan was shaken by the Kobe earthquake and the Aum Shinrikyo gas attack, in the aftermath of which he returned to Japan. He came to terms with these events with his first work of non-fiction, Underground, and the short story collection after the quake. Underground consists largely of interviews of victims of the sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo subway system. While perpetrators and events behind the attack are not the focus of the book, the picture of Japanese society that Murakami paints is shocking.

English translations of many of his short stories written between 1983 and 1990 have been collected in The Elephant Vanishes. He has also translated many of the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald, Raymond Carver, Truman Capote, John Irving, and Paul Theroux, among others, into Japanese.

Recent work

The succinct Sputnik Sweetheart was first published in 1999. Kafka on the Shore was published in 2002, with the English translation following in 2005. The English version of his latest novel, After Dark, is to be released in 2007. A Dutch translation by Jacques Westerhoven of After Dark was released in 2006. In late 2005, Murakami published a collection of short stories titled Tōkyō Kitanshū (東京奇譚集, translates loosely as "Mysteries of Tokyo"). A collection of the English versions of 24 short stories, titled Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, was published in August 2006. This collection includes both older works from the 1980s as well as some of Murakami's most recent short stories (including all five that appear in Tōkyō Kitanshū).

Murakami has recently published an anthology of short stories called Birthday Stories, which includes stories by Russell Banks, Ethan Canin, Raymond Carver, David Foster Wallace, Denis Johnson, Claire Keegan, Andrea Lee, Daniel Lyons, Lynda Sexson, Paul Theroux, and William Trevor, as well as a specially written story by Murakami himself.

Criticism and influence

Murakami's fiction, often criticized for being "pop" literature by Japan's literary establishment, is humorous and surreal, and at the same time reflects an essential alienation, loneliness and longing for love in a way that has touched readers in the US and Europe, as well as in East Asia. In addition, Murakami's writing has also been criticized because of his portrayal of Japan's obsession with capitalism. Through his work, he was able to capture the spiritual emptiness of his generation and explore the negative effects of Japan's work-dominated mentality. His writing criticizes the decrease in human values and a loss of connection between people in Japan's capitalist society.

Recently, director Jun Ichikawa adapted Murakami's short story Tony Takitani into a 75 minute feature. The film has played at various film festivals and was released in New York and Los Angeles July 29, 2005. The original short story (as translated by Jay Rubin) is available in the April 15, 2002 issue of The New Yorker, as a stand-alone book published by Cloverfield Press, and part of Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Knopf.

Novels
    Year Japanese Title English Title
    1979 風の歌を聴け
    Kaze no uta o kike Hear the Wind Sing
    1980 1973年のピンボール
    1973-nen no pinbōru Pinball, 1973
    1982 羊をめぐる冒険
    Hitsuji o meguru bōken A Wild Sheep Chase
    1985 世界の終りとハードボイルド・ワンダーランド
    Sekai no owari to hādoboirudo wandārando Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
    1987 ノルウェイの森
    Noruwei no mori Norwegian Wood
    1988 ダンス・ダンス・ダンス
    Dansu dansu dansu Dance Dance Dance
    1992 国境の南、太陽の西
    Kokkyō no minami, taiyō no nishi South of the Border, West of the Sun
    1992-1995 ねじまき鳥クロニクル
    Nejimaki-dori kuronikuru The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
    1999 スプートニクの恋人
    Supūtoniku no koibito Sputnik Sweetheart
    2002 海辺のカフカ
    Umibe no Kafuka Kafka on the Shore
    2004 アフターダーク
    Afutādāku After Dark

Selected short stories
    Year Japanese Title English Title Appears in
    1980 中国行きのスロウ・ボート
    Chūgoku-yuki no surou bōto A Slow Boat to China The Elephant Vanishes
    1980 貧乏な叔母さんの話
    Binbō na obasan no hanashi A 'Poor Aunt' Story Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1981 ニューヨーク炭鉱の悲劇
    Nyū Yōku tankō no higeki New York Mining Disaster Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1981 スパゲティーの年に
    Supagetī no nen ni The Year of Spaghetti Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1981 四月のある晴れた朝に100パーセントの女の子に出会うことについて
    Shigatsu no aru hareta asa ni 100-paasento no onna no ko ni deau koto ni tsuite On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning The Elephant Vanishes
    1981 かいつぶり
    Kaitsuburi Dabchick Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1981 カンガルー日和
    Kangarū-biyori A Perfect Day for Kangaroos Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1981 カンガルー通信
    Kangarū tsūshin The Kangaroo Communique The Elephant Vanishes
    1982 午後の最後の芝生
    Gogo no saigo no shibafu The Last Lawn of the Afternoon The Elephant Vanishes
    1983 鏡
    Kagami The Mirror Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1983 とんがり焼の盛衰
    Tongari-yaki no seisui The Rise and Fall of Sharpie Cakes Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1983 螢
    Hotaru Firefly Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1983 納屋を焼く
    Naya wo yaku Barn Burning The Elephant Vanishes
    1984 野球場
    Yakyūjō Crabs Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1984 嘔吐1979
    Ōto 1979 Nausea 1979 Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1984 ハンティング・ナイフ
    Hantingu naifu Hunting Knife Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1984 踊る小人
    Odoru kobito The Dancing Dwarf The Elephant Vanishes
    1985 レーダーホーゼン
    Rēdāhōzen Lederhosen The Elephant Vanishes
    1985 パン屋再襲撃
    Panya saishūgeki The Second Bakery Attack The Elephant Vanishes
    1985 象の消滅
    Zō no shōmetsu The Elephant Vanishes The Elephant Vanishes
    1985 ファミリー・アフェア
    Famirī afea A Family Affair The Elephant Vanishes
    1986 ローマ帝国の崩壊・一八八一年のインディアン蜂起・ヒットラーのポーランド侵入・そして強風世界
    Rōma-teikoku no hōkai・1881-nen no indian hōki・Hittorā no pōrando shinnyū・soshite kyōfū sekai The Fall of the Roman Empire, The 1881 Indian Uprising, Hitler's Invasion of Poland, And The Realm of Raging Winds The Elephant Vanishes
    1986 ねじまき鳥と火曜日の女たち
    Nejimaki-dori to kayōbi no onnatachi The Wind-up Bird And Tuesday's Women The Elephant Vanishes
    1989 眠り
    Nemuri Sleep The Elephant Vanishes
    1989 TVピープルの逆襲
    TV pīpuru no gyakushū TV People The Elephant Vanishes
    1989 飛行機―あるいは彼はいかにして詩を読むようにひとりごとを言ったか
    Hikōki-arui wa kare wa ika ni shite shi wo yomu yō ni hitorigoto wo itta ka Aeroplane: Or, How He Talked to Himself as if Reciting Poetry Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1989 我らの時代のフォークロア―高度資本主義前史
    Warera no jidai no fōkuroa-kōdo shihonshugi zenshi A Folklore for My Generation: A Prehistory of Late-Stage Capitalism Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1990 トニー滝谷
    Tonī Takitani Tony Takitani Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1991 沈黙
    Chinmoku The Silence The Elephant Vanishes
    1991 緑色の獣
    Midori-iro no kemono The Little Green Monster The Elephant Vanishes
    1991 氷男
    Kōri otoko The Ice Man Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1991 人喰い猫
    Hito-kui neko Man-Eating Cats Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1995 めくらやなぎと、眠る女
    Mekurayanagi to, nemuru onna Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1996 七番目の男
    Nanabanme no otoko The Seventh Man Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    1999 UFOが釧路に降りる
    UFO ga kushiro ni oriru UFO in Kushiro after the quake
    1999 アイロンのある風景
    Airon no aru fūkei Landscape with Flatiron after the quake
    1999 神の子どもたちはみな踊る
    Kami no kodomotachi wa mina odoru All God's Children Can Dance after the quake
    1999 タイランド
    Tairando Thailand after the quake
    1999 かえるくん、東京を救う
    Kaeru-kun, Tōkyō wo sukū Super-Frog Saves Tokyo after the quake
    2000 蜂蜜パイ
    Hachimitsu pai Honey Pie after the quake
    2002 バースデイ・ガール
    Bāsudei gāru Birthday Girl Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    2005 偶然の旅人
    Gūzen no tabibito Chance Traveller Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    2005 ハナレイ・ベイ
    Hanarei Bei Hanalei Bay Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    2005 どこであれそれが見つかりそうな場所で
    Doko de are sore ga mitsukarisō na basho de Where I'm Likely to Find It Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    2005 日々移動する腎臓のかたちをした石
    Hibi idō suru jinzō no katachi wo shita ishi The Kidney-Shaped Stone That Moves Every Day Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
    2005 品川猿
    Shinagawa saru A Shinagawa Monkey Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Selected non-fiction
    Year Japanese Title English Title Appears in
    1997 アンダーグラウンド
    Andāguraundo Underground Underground
    1998 約束された場所で―Underground 2
    Yakusoku sareta basho de - Underground 2 The Place That Was Promised Underground

auta gnorizo pano kato gia ton H. Murakami. oxi oti eimaste kai kollitoi or sth.

εγώ τον ξέρω ακόμα λιγότερο. ξεκίνα dance dance dance και hardboiled wonderland τώρα γιατί χάνεις πολλά. δεν ξέρω αν έχει μεταφραστεί στα ελληνικά αλλά χλωμό το βλέπω να μην.
    ...you will die like a dog for no good reason.

Πέρυσι είχε μεταφραστεί το "Κουρδιστό πουλί"

Το μόνο δικό του που διάβασα. Αρκετά ευχάριστο γράψιμο σε γενικές γραμμές αλλά σε σημεία πλατειάζει. Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω τον τόσο ενθουσιασμό των κριτικών αλλά οκ, περνάς μερικές ευχάριστες μέρες διαβάζοντάς το -είναι και τούβλο πανάθεμά το...
    Are we the furies?
    Are you a hand? Or an eye? Or a tooth?
    We do what we have to do. That's the most anyone can do.

(Maiden/Mother/Crone)

bump

διαβασα το "Νορβηγικο δάσος" το χα αρχισει πριν κανα μηνα
    το πηγαινα πολυ αργα ειχα φτασει σελ 200 και ειχε αρχισε λιγο να με κουραζει
    αλλα το ξαναπιασα χθες και σε 1 μερα διαβασα τις υπολοιπες 300 μεχρι το τελος

συμπαθητικο θα τολεγα αν και περιεργο γενικα, λιγο τσοντα παραπανω
    κι αν του ελειπαν και κανα 2 σημεια και
    Spoiler
    ειχε λιγοτερο θανατο μεσα
    θα μου ηρεσε περισσοτερο

με επεισε ισως στοχευσω σε κουρδιστο πουλι στο μελλον

το'χω διαβάσει.
    snoozefest

γενικά εμένα δε μ' αρέσει αυτός
    Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

re-Bumb με επικό διάλογο που έχω ξεχωρίσει από το "Kafka On The Shore":

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki Murakami | Kafka On The Shore
    "Are we there yet?"
    "Almost," Colonel Sanders replied.
    "Tell me something," Hoshino began.
    "What?"
    "Are you really Colonel Sanders?"
    Colonel Sanders cleared his throat. "Not really. I'm just taking on his appearance
    for a time."
    "That's what I figured," Hoshino said. "So what are you really?"
    "I don't have a name."
    "How do you get along without one?"
    "No problem. Originally I don't have a name or a shape."
    "So you're kind of like a fart."
    "You could say that. Since I don't have a shape I can become anything I want."
    "Huh..."
    "This time I decided to take on a familiar shape, that of a famous capitalist icon. I
    was toying with the idea of Mickey Mouse, but Disney's particular about the rights to
    their characters."
    "I don't think I'd want Mickey Mouse pimping for me anyway."
    "I see your point."
    "Dressing up like Colonel Sanders fits your character, too."
    "But I don't have a character. Or any feelings. Shape I may take, converse I may,
    but neither god nor Buddha am I, rather an insensate being whose heart thus differs from
    that of man."
    "What the--?"
    "A line from Ueda Akinari's Tales of Moonlight and Rain. I doubt you've read it."
    "You got me there."
    Μόνο αυτό έχω διαβάσει. Τελείως "γιουλάι" βιβλίο αλλά απολαυστικότατο!
    Είχε πολλές συναρπαστικές στιγμές και μπόλικα συναισθήματα... όλων των ειδών!
    Σουρρεάλ δράμα, μια χαρά ανάγνωσμα.

Deafening, painstaking, BB King

^ Mόλις το τελείωσα, υπέροχο.

Μουρακάμης στο top3 μου, αγαπημένο το DanceDanceDance
    μόνο το After Dark και τα δύο πρώτα του δεν έχω διαβάσει
    βγαίνει και καινούριο τον Αύγουστο λέει!
    tt0274518

Το νορβηγικό Δάσος διαβασα και το Καφκα ον δι σορ. Μ αρεσαν αμφότερα αρκετά. Νόμιζα ότι είδα ήδη το καινούριο του εδώ πέρα.
    1) e4, c5
    2) Νf3

σε οσους αρεσε το νορβηγικο δασος μη δειτε την ταινια που χανει απειρα σε σχεση με το πανεμορφο βιβλιο.

Κααααααλο ήταν κι αυτό, αλλά μέχρι εκεί.

ταινεία ή βιβλίο;
    1) e4, c5
    2) Νf3

Το βιβλίο.

Quote Originally Posted by the_kindly_one View Post
    Πέρυσι είχε μεταφραστεί το "Κουρδιστό πουλί"

Το μόνο δικό του που διάβασα. Αρκετά ευχάριστο γράψιμο σε γενικές γραμμές αλλά σε σημεία πλατειάζει. Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω τον τόσο ενθουσιασμό των κριτικών αλλά οκ, περνάς μερικές ευχάριστες μέρες διαβάζοντάς το -είναι και τούβλο πανάθεμά το...
    Το διάβασα κι αυτό. Το πρώτο μισό μου φάνηκε πιο ενδιαφέρον από το δεύτερο. Προς το τέλος ειδικά, διάβαζα γρήγορα απλά για να το τελειώσω και να δω τι σημαίνουν όλα αυτά τέλος πάντων. Ευχάριστο γενικά, αλλά δε θα το σύστηνα, σε αντίθεση με το kafka on the shore που είναι βιβλιάρα.

Ψήνομαι να δω κάποια στιγμή τι λέει και το dance dance dance, αλλά προς το παρόν πάμε γι'άλλα, χόρτασα Μουρακάμι.