Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweden rocks...

Default Sweden rocks...

For years now, I have been digging the underground scene of Sweden and have come across lots of diamonds and gems. The cause of this new topic is to pay tribute to the good solid bands that make out this scene...and to those who didn't make it after all. I 'd like to see some hands first and then go off saying and judging.
    Start by naming your beloved bands...not just stoner/hard rock/ retro metal...there's also a blooming death-n'roll scene over there...
    Skal,
    Monday morning I open a beer and light a cigar, put my pen to paper and write, I hate you all.
    www.insidecharmers.com

Monologue again,
    well Norrsken were too good to be true, or as I wrote some years ago, born too late!!! Yeah, one of the most divine doom bands of the continent they released two demos and a vinyl single...and then broke up. With angelic vocals by Joakim Nilsson and evil earthy riffs by doom master Magnus Pelander, this band could rock the heavens and shake hell below. Very groovy, sounded like early Pentagram,Sabbath with a touch of psychedelia...addictive music, strong melodies and fine songwriting, things you don't easily get these days anymore.
    Sadly, it's impossible to find their shit.Collector's items I reckon...
    Pelander dooms on with the equally divine Witchcraft,their debut album being released in January 2004 through Rise Above, Nilsson pays his dues with Albatros and drummer gets his rocks off with...er,don't remember right now,sorry!!!
    Skal,
    Monday morning I open a beer and light a cigar, put my pen to paper and write, I hate you all.
    www.insidecharmers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Charmer
    and drummer gets his rocks off with...er
    I went down into the valley to pray.
    I got drunk and I stayed all day.

The drummer's new band is named Dead Man...they are recording stuff for a vinyl single.
    www.insidecharmers.com

Great Mammoth is a very obscure, well hidden gem of the swedish underground.Unfortunatly they haven't releasedanything...yet! The band has been active since 1995 under the monicker Lagoon, but soon changed its name to Great Mammoth.Did 20 or so gigs and recorded to songs due to be released as a vinyl single.These songs are "Despeartion" et "Weep Not Child". Sadly, enough and depsite the heavenly music they created, imagine something like the hard rock era of Pentagram filled with melancholic psychedelia, this single never saw the light of day.The band records another track, namely "The Things We Do", probably the heaviest they've come up to, and disbands...the Henriksson brothers turn up in Witchcraft.
    Try to seek Great Mammoth, you won't listen to blast beats, you won't suffer whimpy goth whining, you won't endure poser crap.If you can take a true soul, then hit it on.
    Skal,
    www.insidecharmers.com

This one is not so much about underground but about history:
    One of my favourit Swedish rock bands were MENTAL HIPPIE BLOOD - as far as I know, they released two CDs on MVG Records / Steamhammer: The first one titled "Mental Hippie Blood" was released in 1993 and included classic tracks like "Law breaks law" "Honey Child" "Don't talk" and "I pray in silence". After a second CD titled "Pounds" which went rather in the Grunge direction the band obviously split because I've never heard of them again.
    The line-up for the first CD was as follows: Michael Oran (vocals), Mikael Jansson (Lead Guitars), Jonas Petersson (Guitars), Lake Skoglund (Bass) and Anders Odenstrand (Drums).

For the second one: Michael Oran, Mikael Jansson, Anders Wikstroem (Guitars), Lake Skoglund and Jonas Oestman (Drums).

Ever heard of them or any idea what happened to the band?

Nice, earthy metal band! I have only listened to their first spinner, and kinda lost track of them henceforth...is the second a goodie?
    Keep the talk, damn it? Don't you have swedish bands you like(d)?
    Skal,
    www.insidecharmers.com

Concerning Mental Hippie Blood's second album "Pounds": I find it difficult to characterize it, 'cause it's very different to the first one. I'd say it's a mixture between Alice in Chains "Dirt" and Soundgardens "Superunknown". I found it disappointing the first time I had listened to it (because I was expecting more stuff like the first CD), listened to it once more this weekend (after a very long time) and it's quite ok. Quite heavy but not so easygoing as the first one.

Next question to the mighty Inside Charmer of Swedish Heavy Metal: I very recently read a review of Swedish newcomers "Mustasch"; their style was linked to The Quilt and Spiritual Beggars. Are they worth listening?

Newcomers? I thought they've already released 2 albums and one EP. Their latest album is titled RATSAFARI. I've listened to one track titled "Monday Warrior" which is quite rocking! "Black City", their single is also a very good song. Concerning to The Quill and The Beggars, their common part is their influences as they are all influenced by bands of the 70's.
    Ralf Gyllenhammar, the vocalist, has a really good voice. Also playing in Mustasch : Hannes Hansson (guitar), Mats Stam Johansson (bass) and Mats Dojan Hansson (drums). The producer of RATSAFARI is Jacob Hellner (Rammstein).
    Groovy, rocking,easy-listening music but nothing really new or innovative. I liked them anyway!
    For more information visit http://www.mustasch.net
    YOU DONT FIND YOUR WAY, THE WAY FINDS YOU...

I only have "I Hunt Alone" ep and I really seek for anything else from them, the same-titled track is awesome! Check it!
    Ehm what else? Boogieman! "Triple Six Blues" = One of the finest last year's releases
    And Blind Dog's "Captain Dog Rides Again" too!!! \m/ \m/
    Let's hope someone will bring 'em both to play here, as well as Grand Magus

■■

I think my fellow fc companions have pretty much covered the question, Eddie. I am not that much into the stoner scene, I prefer true hard rock/old sounding heavy metal with hair,beards and alcohol fuelled riffs to nice,cleancut aerosol punk!If you want to sound like dinosaurs then get vinatge and analog beverage,man.However,I believe Mustach is a good band.Try them out as you might find tads of sonic enjoyment if you are into newly produced orange rock.
    www.insidecharmers.com

Stoner?
    you remind me a wellknown retard TV star right now

■■

I downloaded a Mustasch track but didn't like it. I don't know, I probably have to listen to them more carefully. What should I try first?
    Who knows where the days go
    And would you ever want them back

The latest hot thing from the mighty swedish scene is called Witchcraft. Close followers of the forum might be aware of them. Their eponymous debut is brought to you by the historic Rise Above label. Believe me, you shouldn't miss out on this rough diamond!
    I have spoken my mind several times about this band from Orebro. Hot shit doom rock with ounces of psychedelic and progressive folk, Pelander's divine riffing sounds a lot like early Pentagram gone more Sabbath than Blue Cheer. There is a imminent blues touch to the whole recording, not necessarily in the playing parts but more in the songs' textures and builidings. Not many notes, but strong, heavy and poignant ones...you do not easily forget about the songs.
    There is also a Pentagram, or better Stone Bunny cover in it, find it out!
    Don't mix this up with some tedious stoner crap, this is true seventies doom/hippie rock with lots of attitude and a wandering spirit.
    Be forewarned, doomates!
    www.insidecharmers.com