Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigantour chat with Warrel

parte kai ena session me jeff(se merika apantaei kai o van)

Event Chat #25 with Nevermore guitarist, Jeff Loomis
    3:30PM - 4:30PM EDT, August 31

Overkilled <Q>Jeff, what were your favorite bands growing up? Metal i hope!
    Loomis <A>Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Queen

rsxjc11 <Q>jeff what advise would you give other guitarist on learning metal solos?how did u develop your own lead skills?
    Loomis <A>I was a self taught player, I use to listen to songs slowed down and learned by ear.

Tyde14 <Q>Did you take lessons growing up or are you self taught?
    Loomis <A>self taught

powerslayer68 <Q>Mr.Loomis. What's your favorite style or genre of music to play?
    Loomis <A>metal music of course!!!

powerslayer68 <Q>Why are you so awesome on the guitar?
    Loomis <A>i practice a lot.... thanks for the compliment!

thompsongunner <Q>who are some of your guitar influences?
    Loomis <A>jason becker and marty friedman are great. i also like brian may

Overkilled <Q>Even though you are self taught....have you tried learning any music theory?
    Loomis <A>I never really tried learning music theory. Scales.....never heard of him....joe pesci joke!

mustainelover <Q>What is your favorite song to play live?
    Loomis <A>Born is a geat one to play live.

mustainelover <Q>What is your favorite song to play live?
    Loomis <A>Born is a geat one to play live.

powerslayer68 <Q>What's the best movie of all time for you?
    Loomis <A>Fargo

Tyde14 <Q>How do go about writing a solo like the one in I, Voyager with all the crazy sweep picking?
    Loomis <A>Sometimes it can be a slow process, but that one came very fast and i think it compliments the song well.

pelahi <Q>Van, I'm curious to know what your ethnic background is.
    Loomis <A>i'm Norwegian

halfdeadhippo <Q>Jeff, can you play "The Flight of the Bumblebee" on the guitar?
    Loomis <A>Nope, but the bass player from Manowar can

pelahi <Q>Van, I saw you in Cleveland and you were wearing something that I've never seen before that looked almost like a kilt......what was that?
    Loomis <A>It was a kilt from a company called Utilikilts in

pelahi <Q>Van, I saw you in Cleveland and you were wearing something that I've never seen before that looked almost like a kilt......what was that?
    Loomis <A>Yes it was a kilt from a company called Utilikilts in Seattle, tell em Van sent ya

Jenna <Q>Hey Jeff! What has been your favorite show so far on Gigantour?
    Loomis <A>Mine has to be Milwaukee because i plyed in front of friends and family ihave not seen in a long time.

Sasquatch <Q>Jeff, what would you say is the most difficult Nevermore song to play?
    Loomis <A>The title track from our new record is the most difficult, especially the middle section.

symphonyofnevermorex <Q>what do you think of Michael Romeo (Symphony X)? I heard you two were jamming during the tour.
    Loomis <A>Michael is great! We had a chance to sit down a couple of times to play together and ive learned many new concepts of playing from him.

IroncladSausage <Q>Do you listen to any modern day bands like Bodom or Amon Amarth and such?
    Loomis <A>COB is great....Alexi is a great new guitar talent and it was also a great time touring with them.

megafan903 <Q>What do you guys tune to?
    Loomis <A>We tune a half step down from normal piano tuning.

iggyb387 <Q>Would you even consider doing a solo album?
    Loomis <A>After all is said and done with all the touring for this record, i'm going to try and put an instrumental record together. This is something i've wanted to do for a while and i hope i can make it happen.

eero <Q>Jeff, name some of your favorite MegadetH songs
    Loomis <A>In My Darkest Hour....The Conjuring and Wake up Dead.

eero <Q>Jeff, name some of your favorite MegadetH songs
    Loomis <A>In My Darkest Hour....The Conjuring and Wake up Dead.

megafan903 <Q>Are you guys proud of some of fans you got, since you played gigantour?
    Loomis <A>Of course.....the fans are what make us who we are and we appreciate that

thompsongunner <Q>Is that a digitech whammy pedal your using on the guitar solo to Bittersweet Feast?
    Loomis <A>yes it is....that'a actually Steve

megafan903 <Q>What do you guys think of Mudvayne or Trivium?
    Loomis <A>I like Mudvayne. I own a few of their records. The bass player is excellent.

megafan903 <Q>Jeff, I love your guitar style, man. How long have you been playin?
    Loomis <A>I've been playing for close to twenty years now. Thanks for your compliment.

D.I.E <Q>What bands are you listening to currently?
    Loomis <A>Meshuggah....Arch Enemy and Soilwork

thompsongunner <Q>what's your secret for developing such blazing speed and precision?
    Loomis <A>Seriously..... tons of practice and dedication to the instrument on a daily level.

Rockchickbabe <Q>are you looking forward to the upcoming UK dates?
    Loomis <A>We can't wait......we have lots of great fans in the UK. We're all really excited about the up coming shows.

megafan903 <Q>I'm guessing Yngwie Malmsteen is one of your favorites if you sweep right?
    Loomis <A>Yngwie is one of the first shredders i started listening to. Alcatraz with Graham Bonnet No parole From Rock and Roll was great.

Senza <Q>Are there any guitar instrucional vids/books that you'd reccomend?
    Loomis <A>The Legendary Guitar of Jason Becker is great. They showcase a lot of his time playing with Cacophony and there is also a guitar clinic in Atlanta that he did that's incredble.

guitarguru777 <Q>We all saw you on Fuse's metal asylum yesterday. How come steve doesnt talk? Is he a MUTE HA HA HA HA HA
    Loomis <A>Steve chose to be quiet that day for some odd reason.

guitarguru777 <Q>You like Necrophagist ?
    Loomis <A>Yes i do.....very much!!!!

thompsongunner <Q>How would you say your music has evolved since Steve joined the band?
    Loomis <A>Steve has added a lot to this band..... He wrote three songs for the record and he's a very talented individual. He brought a lot of diversity to the band and his playing style is very close to the way i play which we all really liked.

Kaiser_Soze <Q>Whose idea was it to play backward lyrics in Sentient 6? and why?
    Loomis <A>That was an idea Warrel had. I think we were just messing around and it sounded cool so we ended up keeping it for the final track.

halfdeadhippo <Q>Jeff, are/were you ever a fan of fusion artists such as Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin? If so, what's your opinion on them?
    Loomis <A>Very much so. My dad actually turned me on to them many years ago. The Inner Mounting Flame is amazing.

symphonyofnevermorex <Q>Loomis, I really like your piano piece you composed for a contest a long time ago (heard it on Steve Smyth's forum), I was wondering if you will ever do something like that again?
    Loomis <A>That's just a piece i composed for fun on my Boss DR5. I love Bach and Chopin and that was my influence i guess. I've got a bunch of stuff like that written on that machine.....maybe i'll release more of it if it's good enough.

Overkilled <Q>How many Songs from This Godless Endeavour are you playing on Gigantour?
    Loomis <A>We try to do one or two every night. You have to remember we only play for 25 to 30 minutes....so it's hard to fit 6 or 7 records in that amount of time. We will play a lot of it on the European tour!

Chaney_W <Q>Hey Jeff, thanks for taking the time for chatting with everyone...I read where you auditioned for Megadeth back when Jeff Young was released. How well did the audition go and were you nervous
    Loomis <A>I auditioned for them back in 87 or 88. It was killer. I played four songs with them which i think were In My Darkest Hour...The Conjuring, Wake up Dead and Peace Sells. Dave didn't sing so we just jammed the songs. Great times!!!

iggyb387 <Q>Would you ever consider doing a headlining tour in the US with Symphony X?
    Loomis <A>Of course!!!

rsxjc11 <Q>jeff what amps are you using in your live rig?
    Loomis <A>I'm using Krank amps. They are the best!!!

Tyde14 <Q>Are there any Nevermore songs that you or Van don't like?
    Loomis <A>We like all our tunes.....bye everyone!!! METAL FOREVER

Overkilled <Q>Even though you are self taught....have you tried learning any music theory?
    Loomis <A>I never really tried learning music theory. Scales.....never heard of him....joe pesci joke!

"Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather"

Καλα χαλαρωσε...

Εννοειται οτι ξερει τις κλιμακες το παλικαρι, χαχα

Duh...

Sto prwto kommati pige to .

Ton eixa gia gnwsti.
    "Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather"