Thread: METALLICA's 'Monster' Documentary Part Of SUNDANCE FILM FEST

Default METALLICA's 'Monster' Documentary Part Of SUNDANCE FILM FEST

"Metallica: Some Kind of Monster", an unusual look at the heavy metal band undergoing group therapy to help its members through addiction, fatherhood and "near-total disintegration" while recording their first original studio album in six years, has been announced as one of the entries for the "American Spectrum" category of the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, which kicks off January 15 in Park City, Utah.

As previously reported, "Some Kind of Monster" is expected to arrive in theaters by March. The makers of the film expect the movie to show across the country, but possibly not all at once. METALLICA's management, Q-Prime, were previously said to be considering releasing the movie to cities a week or two before the band's tour plays there.

Director Joe Berlinger, who created the film with partner Bruce Sinofsky over the past two and a half years, is currently writing a book that'll document his experience in greater detail. "It will be designed to tie into the DVD release of the film, which will be in late summer or early fall of next year," he told MTV.com. "The movie gives a really great portrait of these guys, but we shot 1,200 hours of material, and now the film is a hair over two hours long. There's so much more to tell."
    Γιατί δε με θες κυρά μου; Επειδή είμαι ψαράς;

Les na parei kai Xruso Foinika? Hohoho

Joe Berlinger, one of the filmmakers behind the METALLICA documentary "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster", recently spoke to New York's The Journal News about the much-anticipated project, which will have its debut next Wednesday at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah.

Berlinger, 42, who made the film with partner Bruce Sinofsky, says that he is hoping hopes to attract viewers who may not care about METALLICA but have an interest in documentary film.

"Our marketing challenge is to cross under, to reach the crowd that's seeing 'Capturing the Friedmans' and 'Fog of War'," he said. "But when I tell most people my age or older that I've just spent three years making a movie on METALLICA, I'm usually met with blank stares and get asked one of two questions: 'Who is METALLICA?' or 'Why would you do that?'"

Berlinger believes that selection for Sundance will lend the film credibility as something more serious than a concert film or a puff piece on the San Franciscian heavy-metal legends.

"I don't want the film ghetto-ized as some fan love letter," says Berlinger, whose 1992 documentary "Brothers Keeper" won awards from Sundance and the New York Film Critics Circle. "I want it to be treated the same way as 'Brothers Keeper', and that's what Sundance will do.

"It's a perception thing. People assume METALLICA must be a bunch of beer-swilling, head-banging guys who aren't very deep. And what I'm saying is that you may not like the music but this movie will definitely give you a deeper understanding of who they are." Read more:

http://www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/0 ... inger.html

SUNDANCE UPDATE

It's 12:30pm mountain time, and I've had no more than three hours sleep since the 5 I had two nights ago. Last night's premiere of 'Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster' was perfect...sold-out, great response, enthusiastic buzz afterwards, minimal bullshit, nice soiree afterwards with a few cocktails and much general enthusiasm about the entire project. Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky were proud parents, their entire staff right there with them also enjoying the fruits of their labor on the big screen...ahhh, the film.

OK, I hitting the hay at 4am and up again at 7am for another screening this morning at 8:30, sooooo take the subjectivity into account when I list my favorite moments:

Lars and Torben - absolutely wonderful
    James and Cali - raw, honest and very human feelings from James
    Kirk in the car 'egoless' - a wonderful snapshot of the man and his nature
    Rob on joining - you just know he's so right (even though we do know if you know what I mean!!!)
    Lars and Dave Mustaine - enormous in so many ways, moving
    Phil, Lars, Kirk and Bob - reality is a powerful thing when witnessed
    Bob in song development for 'Frantic' - showcases his fullsome contributions
    James talking to Bob - at the end of the album sessions...very very emotional
    The final 5 minutes - so, so huge, the perfect icing on a rather large, expansive and thoroughly satisfying cake

...there's so much more. But having seen this film a bunch of times now, what I can say generally is that it is about human beings and relationships, love, warmth, barriers, struggles (within), tolerance, depth, work, support, all of those things. And the more you see it, the more you see.

...gotta hit some hay before this evening's press conference...

clocking off for now...

Steffan (SW! Editor on web assignment)

The four members of METALLICA were beamed into Park City, Utah on January 22 for a by-satellite press conference from their tour in Australia to coincide with the Sundance Film Festival premiere of their much-anticipated documentary "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster". Check out video footage of the press conference here:
    http://www.metallica.com/videoplayer/vi ... dia_id=304

As previously reported, "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster" is being described as an unusual look at the heavy metal band undergoing group therapy to help its members through addiction, fatherhood and "near-total disintegration" while recording their first original studio album in six years. A spring theatrical release is expected.

Ολοκληρο θα παρουσιαστει στην Αθήνα το Some Kind Of Monster, το ντοκιμαντερ, για τους MetallicA. Η ταινία θα προβληθεί στα πλαίσια του 10ου Διεθνούς Φεστιβάλ Κινηματογράφου της Αθήνας ‘Νύχτες Πρεμιέρας’.
    http://www.avopolis.gr/news/default.asp?ID=5221
    GET FUCKING CRAZY!!!!!

Psinomai arketa.