Thread: majestic reviews - not all of them (soon in metal invader)

Default majestic reviews - not all of them (soon in metal invader)

I was actually thinking of writing one word reviews, verging from fantastic to excellent and brilliant, just to avoid having to write a bloody 5 page review (no it’s a fuckin 13 page review for Christ’s sake), as the case is going to be here. You see I asked for a couple of samples from the guys at Majestic Rock Records, and a few days later I received a box with their entire back catalogue. (20 cds in 2 years – now that’s impressive.) Nice one lads. So without further ado, lets see what Majestic has to offer to the average hard rock fan :

BEDLAM – “Live In London 1973” (MAJCD001)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 04-03-2003
    Running Time : 51:15

The first offering from the company is a live cd of BEDLAM, recorded in London on the 22nd of October in 1973. BEDLAM were a fine Hard Rocking Band that featured Cozy Powell behind the drum stool. They sound to me like a cross between SARACEN, with a tad less epic sound and perhaps early PURPLE, but again lot more straightforward and at times they uncunningly bring to mind another great band of the old days, LED ZEPPELIN. Apart from Cozy, brothers Denny and Dave Ball are on bass and guitar respectively and their singer Frank Aiello, has a really great voice that really elevates the bands beautifully crafted hard rock blues. Standout tracks include `I Believe In You` and `Sarah`, while Cozy’s solo is yet another highlight, oh and mother in law is absolutely hillarious. This live set was recorded in front of a small but enthusiastic audience at London’s Command Studios just prior to their 1973 U.S. support tour to Black Sabbath, and had been in the vaults since then. Now majestic rock allows you to experience the magic of BEDLAM at their live best.

Dimitrios “Rockavlon” Fatouros

Jack Ponti Presents …Vol 1 (MAJCD002)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 04-03-2003
    Running Time : 47:04

Jack Ponti is quite an iconic personality in the broader hard rock world. A famous producer and songwriter in his own right, he used to be in a band called the rest, with Bon Jovi countless years ago. This is the first volume in a series of releases from the man’s vaults.The songs here are all primary examples of melodic rock, performed by a host of quite famous people with whom Ponti collaborated throughout his career. You’ve got Sebastian Bach, Kelly Keeling, Stan Bush and many many more. There are no weak points here, the only complaint I would have is that the sound quality is slightly worse in a couple of cuts. Oh and the cover doesn’t exactly scream: inspired. But overlooking these two minor faults, it would be really criminal to bypass this great set of songs.

SURGIN – “Electric Nights – The Final Chapter” (MAJCD003)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 04-03-2003
    Running Time : 48:14

Speaking of Jack Ponti, this is one of his bands SURGIN’, on whose debut Bon Jovi sung. This is typical hard rock as it was played back then. Very melodic and in many ways if you enjoy Bon Jovi you’ll be a sucker for this one. Actually the album consists of unreleased SURGIN tunes, and the sheer quality of the songs really makes me wonder why they never saw the light of day earlier. “Lightning never Strikes”, “Crossfire”, “Heart of the fire”, “other side of midnight” (hey did crimson glory nick the title from here ? ) and “Under Gypsy Moon” are just some of the best songs you ‘ve ever heard. Again I ‘ll slightly bitch about the sound quality which ain’t bad, but it’s evident that this material was sourced from a tape. But hey, don’t let that spoil it for you, because the music is what counts and the music in here is absolutely top notch. Get this cd and you will not be disappointed!

4,5/6

TIGERTAILZ – “Original Sin” (MAJCD004)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 04-03-2003
    Running time : 37:21

Before their debut on MFN and their stab at success as one best Glam acts in this side of the pond, Tigertailz recorded an album that was shelved in favor of new material. Now it sees the light of day in the form of Original sin. What an appropriate title. Tigertailz deliver top quality hard rock with a lot of edge. There are party songs like “Shoot to kill” and “Star Attention” but also moodier compositions like “Now you’re on your own”. I find it hard to believe why this album was shelved, it positively rocks!!! Well apart from the 7 songs that came from one session there are 3 additional demos including a great cover of the CHEAP TRICK classic tune ‘I Want You To Want Me’.
    This is a glamster’s paradise. Plain and simple

4,5/6

THE PLOT - The Plot (Michael Schenker / Pete Way) (MAJCD005)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 14-04-2003
    Running Time : 54:03

Hurray, this is another UFO side project. The Plot is comprised of Michael Schenker & Pete Way who came together in between the last few UFO albums and had this project as a little fan on the side I would imagine. The entire record sounds really laid back and fun filled straightforward rock n roll, that bares a lot of similarities with Pete’s other solo outing. Towed in is BADLANDS ex-drummer Jeff Martin who does a great job here. I forgot to mention that Way also handles the vocals apart from the bass and he really sounds cool. Schencher effortlessly shines through although it ain’t required of him to shred.”You and me ”, “Shake down” , “Kicked Out” and “Senorita” are just some of the little gems that you ‘ll find in here. If you ‘re a UFO/MSG/Schenker fan this will definitely appeal to you, but hey it should also appeal to every sane lover of classic rock.

4/6

Dimitrios “Rockavlon” Fatouros.

ALASKA - Anthology 1 (MAJCD006)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 14-03-2003
    Running time : 53:16

Another Archival release here. ALASKA are the post WHITESNAKE vehicle for Bernie Marsden whose illustrious career includes stints with not only the might ‘SNAKE but as also UFO, WILD TURKEY, BABE RUTH and COZY POWELL’S HAMMER. Bernie is such an influential musician. His blues/rock playing is just great, but it’s really the way in which he puts all this talent into the songs that makes all the difference. He’s an amazing songwriter, who by the way wrote WHITESNAKE’S two biggest hits ever, ‘Here I Go Again’ and ‘Fool For Your Loving’. Obviously as the title suggests there ‘s gonna be a part two coming out soon. The various material included in here verges from unreleased songs to alternate takes and demos and is of really high caliber. It’s just weird how this band never attained any wider recognition. They had the songs. The singers had the pipes, it’s just plainly weird. Fans of quality hard rock, fans of WHITESNAKE take notice. Act now !!! I ‘m already, ready an waitin’ for the second part.

JOHN SLOMAN – “Dark Matter” (MAJCD007)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 19-05-2003
    Running Time : 61:45

John Sloman is quite a story. He began his career in LONE STAR whose album `Firing On All Six` is considered quite a classic! He had stints as a vocalist for URIAH HEEP and GARY MOORE, and most recently he could be heard on the latest PRAYING MANTIS album along Doogie White. He has a smooth and rocking voice and lots of talent, but unfortunately this album is probably a bit too modern for my tastes. I can’t damn the album. Its not bad and it has a lot of atmosphere. John’s delivery is honest and passionate, no doubt about that. Also the lyrics are brilliant, mirroring life. But I somehow don’t get it. As a unit it doesn’t exactly work for me. It’s modern rock with slight alternative overtones and I guess I am a bit of a purist. I would suggest the you give it a listen. I ‘ll try to give it a few more listens see if it manages to win me over. Some times, some albums take a lot of listens to be appreciated, but most of the times they are the most rewarding. I dunno if that’s the case here.

3/6

UFO - Big Apple Encounters (Live at the Record Plant, NYC 1975) (MAJCD00
    (Majestic rock)
    Released 30-06-2003
    Running Time : 59:01

Recorded early in the band’s illustrious career, ‘Big Apple Encounters’ captures the band
    at it’s peak, while touring in support of “Force it”. It was the time when they became massive. The songs are culled from ‘Force It’ and its predecessor ‘Phenomenon’ and display the band at the top of it’s game. Schenker is amazing as usual, Way is the king of the groove, and Mogg’s banter between the songs is hilarious. Oh, btw here’s the playlist : “Let It Roll”, “Doctor, Doctor”, “Oh My”, “Built For Comfort”, “Out In The Streets”, “Space Child”, “Mother Mary”, “All Or Nothing”, “This Kids”, “Shoot Shoot”, “Rock Bottom”. It’s just mind blowing that this recording didn’t surface earlier, because it’s quality is great both in terms of sound as well as far as the set list in concerned. One of the best live UFO live cds that you could get. Don’t miss the band on tour throughout Europe Soon.

BLACK N’ BLUE – “Black n’ blue” (MAJCD009)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 11-08-2003
    Running Time : 40:09

Yet another re-release of an excellent album. A real blast from the past. BLACK’N’BLUE recorded their debut in 84 ? if memory serves right, with Dieter Dierks, the great German producer that used to twitch the knobs for such acts like SCORPIONS and ACCEPT. The album was released by Geffen to critical acclaim. Since then it has become deleted and a much sought after item, as people would pay 50 $ upwards to get their hands on it, ion Ebay. Majestic comes to the rescue with this fine re release. The album is an excellent slice of melodic rock, something between ALICE COOPER and SKID ROW. Both polished, but still metal enough, it just rocks, plain and simple. Such great songs as “The Strong Will Rock”, “Autoblast”, “Wicked Bitch”, “Show Me The Night”, “I’m The King” and all the rest should be heard by every self-respecting metal head. Oh, plus they did a cover of SWEET’s “Action” almost a decade before DEF LEP did. And it kicks ass. Jamie st.James might have joined bloody WARRANT, but hey his voice is gonna leave you breathless. Tommy Thayer now touring with the mighty KISS really shines through this one and delivers a great twin guitar attack long with Jef Warner. Oh to heck with this. Buy this record unless you’re a fucking goth. It will beat you senseless. This is rock’n roll baby!

5,5/6

BLACK N’ BLUE – “Without love” (MAJCD010)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 11-08-2003
    Running Time : 36:37

Released in 1985 on Geffen records as well, the second BLACK N’ BLUE album rocks in every way its predecessor did and then some more. A bit more polished perhaps, but still rocking like hell, this time around future Bon Jovi knob twiddler Bruce Fairbairn was behind the console. Again a hard to find album, now available to you for next to nothing.
    “Rockin’ On Heaven’s Door” will scorch you “Without Love” will rock you in a very early DEF LEP fashion and every single song is a small nugget. “Miss mystery” – ooohh. Oh ‘nuff said. Sink your fangs in this fine piece of melodic rock candy.

5/6

BLACK N’ BLUE – “Nasty nasty” (MAJCD011)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 11-08-2003
    Running Time : 38:31

Yet another fantastic hard rock record by BLACK’N BLUE. I guess you either have it or you don’t and this guys had bucket loads of charisma. They knew how to pen a catchy tune. Produced by none other than the big guy in KISS mr. Gene Simmons, Nasty nasty, includes their smash hit “I’ll Be There For You” which went top 40, co-written and produced by Journey’s Jonathan Cain. But it’s an odd inclusion, is sounds well a bit out of place on the record. With the exception of this song, which is fairly good, the record is a lot more like their demo. Raw and in your face rock ‘n roll. “Nasty Nasty” complete with it’s strange spit intro noises, I Want It All (I Want It Now), “Kiss Of Death”, “12 o’clock High”, “Rules” and “Best In The West” they all rock like hurricanes. The closest thing I can think of to compare this to is KISS’s “Revenge”. Oh c’mon, you know you want this…

5/6

BLACK N’ BLUE – “In heat” (MAJCD012)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 11-08-2003
    Running Time : 41:12

‘In Heat’ is probably the best BLACK’N BLUE album. And although the band had a loyal fanbase, they didn’t really make it really big even with this superb Gene Simmons produced, album. What a shame. Very DEF LEPPARDIOUS, (haha) this should have been bloody huge. Every song is a little melodic dynamite. “Rock On”, “Sight For Sore Eyes”, “Heat It Up! Burn It Out!” Oh, it doesn’t get any better than this. Unfortunatelly the band called it a day after this one, and although there have been some additional releases and the band is now reunited, albeit with a different guitars, this was probably their finest hour. Don’t miss this for anything in the world. Essential

5,5/6

PETE WAY – “Alive In Cleveland” (Live Oct 4th 2002) (MAJCD013)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 29-09-2003
    Running Time : 77:20

Oh, my gawd!, Haha, when the whiskey drenched voice of PETE WAY starts slurring, you know you’re set for a treat. Recorded in Ohio on the 4th of October 2002, this album contains tracks from Pete’s highly acclaimed solo album `Amphetamine` as well as songs from `The Plot` and even a stomping version of UFO`s `Too Hot To Handle`. The lineup is that of “Amphetamine”. A really badass trio consisting of Walt James on guitar, Scott Phillips on drums and the man himself on bass and vocals. Rounding the album off is a previously unreleased studio track `Paradise`. Clocking at 77 minutes this is definitely gonna quench your thirst for hard and nasty rock n roll, the way only Pete WAY knows. (intended pun).

GRAND SLAM – “Twilights Last Gleaming - The Last Of Grand Slam”
    LIMITED EDITION 2 CD DIGI PACK (MAJCDSP014)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 10-11-2003
    Running Time : 71:32 + 10:37

After THIN LIZZY called it a day, and although there were thoughts about an eventual reunion, Phillo, got involved in a number of projects. One of those was GRAND SLAM. Featuring Magnum keyboard player Mark Stanway, ex-Stampede axe man Laurence Archer, guitarist Doish Nagle and drummer Robbie Brennan alongside the man on bass, Grand Slam was a formidable rock band that never fully realized its potential. Live, however, they rocked big time. This live album captures the band on one of it’s very last live performances, the material predominantly culled from London’s Marquee club on December 4th 1984. The songs have a certain flair about them much like THIN LIZZYs own material, but with more keys and there are the obligatory songs like LIZZIES “Cold Sweat” and “Parissiene Walkways” which he did with Moore. Phil was really a fucking
    Born rock star, and I believe he must have been a funny guy as well, just listen to his bunter to track number 8 which is such a crackup anyway. As far as the performance is concerned, this is simply a breathtaking performance. The sound is good, the band is tight, well only the audience sounds a bit “down”, but hey this was recorded in Marquee.
    (sigh) The world hasn’t seen such a bright star since his stopped shining. I mean this is what real music was all about. Not some fookin’ gimmick band like today’s modern bands. This was a real band, yessir. A terrible loss for music. A couple of years after this the great man was gone…and his void has not been filled since.

There’s also a limited edition 2 CD digi-pack version of the `Twilights Last Gleaming...`album, the second CD containing three alternative live recordings of Crime Rate, Military Man & Dedication, limited to 5000 copies.Contains many exclusive photos and sleeve notes from Mark Stanway. Also contains traces of nuts. (!?)

HEAVY PETTIN – “Lettin` Loose” (MAJCD015)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 20-10-2003
    Runing Time : 48:37

Scotland`s HEAVY PETTIN released two hard rockin but remarkably polished albums for Polydor in the early 80`s. This, is the first of them and it was produced by Queen`s Brian May. At the time, the band sat shoulder-to-shoulder with Def Leppard as the British hard rock act `most likely to...` Well, we all know how that story ends.
    Tracks like `In And Out Of Love` and `Hell Is Beautiful` are prime slabs of 80`s melodic hard rock. “Love on the run” – heck people make such a big deal about bands like the gayness oops the Darkness I meant, fuck I ‘ll personally admit to liking them – but if “Letting loose” was released in 2003 it would probably have set the world on fire. Personally I ‘d say that they ‘re probably every bit as good if not better than the LEPS seems that some other bloke did the same back in the day. You simply can’t overlook this gem, not if you’re into bands like the LEPS and the TYGERS. Finally available on CD for the first time, this album is boosted by the inclusion of two bonus tracks previously only available as b-sides namely “Roll The Dice”, “Shadows Of The Night”. Quickly run to HMV or VIRGIN grab the clerk by the throat and demand this album.

6/6

HEAVY PETTIN – “Rock Ain`t Dead” (MAJCD016)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 20-10-2003
    Running Time : 47:40

Damn right it ain’t! Don’t believe what people tell ya. This was HEAVY PETTIN’s second album for Polydor records and it picked up nicely where their `Lettin’ Loose` debut had left off. With things beginning to happen for them the band toured eith MOTLEY in the states.Back to the album `Rock Ain`t Dead` is a mission statement, and the album does what it says on the tin. Rock wasn`t dead, and this album aimed to prove it. “Rock Ain`t Dead” (a wave your knob about anthem, ahahahaha), “Sole Survivor”, “China Boy”, “Lost In Love”, “Northwinds”, “Angel” (hahahha it’s just funny listening to a Glaswegian singing about making out at the back of a Cadillac, although singer Hamie now resides in the states.) Every single track is a fine slab of melodic rock. This is such a great record. Unfortunately in the wake of the album’s mediocre sales, things begun to go a bit awry. Their song “Romeo” came second when they entered the Eurovision competition so Polydor canned their third album which surfaced much later on FM records. (hint: put it out it ain’t bad – at all) after that the band called it a day and the members went on, and got involved in other projects with varying degrees of success. But they will always be fondly remembered for these fine albums they recorded back in the day. We salute ya!

5,5/6

PAT TRAVERS – “Pat Travers” (MAJCD017)
    (Majestic rock)
    Released 26-01-2004
    Running Time : 34:28

This is Pat Travers eponymous debut. A fine rock record with a lot of fine rocking tracks like “Stop and smile”, “Makes No Difference” and “Medley Parts 1 & 2” which are really clssics But there ws more to this young Canadian’s music than a Marshall stack and a Fender Telecaster screaming for mercy. Pat’s roots lay in the blues, and it’s that raw earthiness that runs through the music on this CD. The somber mood in songs like “magnolia” is something indescribable by words. And as great as this undoubtedly was, there was, better yet to come…. A bit of an oldie but certainly a goodie.

The album was re mastered especially for this CD release and contains the original art work and new sleeve notes.

4,5/6

PAT TRAVERS – “Makin’ Magic” (MAJCD01
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 26-01-2004
    Running Time : 39:14

And here is where the talent of Pat Travers really starts to manifest in the most thunderous way. “Makin’ Magic” the man’s second album is to many people one of his best. It’s not to hard to tell why. A much more upbeat and harder rocking release than the debut album – with the thunderous title track rippin it open in fine fashion and the classic ‘Rock n’ Roll Susie’ (oooeer). Phewww! The album is also memorable for the appearance of one Nicko McBrain (of IRON MAIDEN fame) on drums alongside long time bassist ‘Mars’ Cowling. The album’s highlight is, though, perhaps Pat’s heartfelt message to his own brother ‘Stevie’ which eerily starts in a very similar way as “beyond the realms of death”. A really vital piece of rock history. ‘Makin’ Magic’ is where the Pat Travers story REALLY starts….
    Remastered especially for this CD release and containing original art work and new sleeve notes.

6/6

PAT TRAVERS – “Putting It Straight” (MAJCD019)
    (Majestic rock)
    Released 26-01-2004
    Running Time : 37:03

‘Putting It Straight’ – Pat Travers’ second album release in 1977 – is a bit of a different animal, although a lot of the high voltage rock n roll is intact, there’s a slight change in the overall sound. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact the Pat got settled in London. The sound is a bit more organic I ‘d say, you get saxophones and stuff. ‘Mars’ Cowling and Nicko Mcbrain still in tow, and the man just keeps on gigging hard. Guests on the album include Thin Lizzy’s Scott Gorham on ‘Speakeasy’ and Rainbow’s Tony Carey on the instrumental ‘Off Beat Ride’. ‘Speakeasy’ and ‘Life In London’ are affectionate odes to his new home. A mighty fine release.
    Remastered especially for this CD release and containing original art work and new sleeve notes.

4/6

PAT TRAVERS – “Heat In The Street” (MAJCD020)
    (Majestic Rock)
    Released 26-01-2004
    Running time : 36:09

The fourth Pat Travers album in two years by the over productive Pat Travers. Well by now the band was huge playing stadiums and all.Gone was Nicko McBrain – to French rockers Trust and then on to Iron Maiden, in came another famous rock drummer in Tommy Aldridge (of too many bands to mention fame) as well as the excellent Pat Thrall on guitars, beefing up the sound significantly. This was a killer band – and ‘Heat In The Street’ was a killer album! Check out ‘Killer’s Instinct’ and ‘Hammerhead’ for grade A hard rock!

5,5/6

(MAJCD021 will be a cd by BYRON.)

TYTAN - “Rough Justice” (MAJCD022)
    (Majestic rock)
    Released 23-02-2004
    Running Time :

Oh thank god for Majestic Rock! At last one of the lesser known “gems” of NWOBHM gets a proper re release. It was time, it happened. No more having to pay large amounts of money for a vinyl copy. Ok, lets get to the facts. TYTAN were formed in 1982, rising from the ashes of the classic ANGEL WITCH line-up. While Kev Heybourne tried out a few things at the time, (Blind Fury anyone?) bassist Kevin ‘Skids’ Riddles and drummer Dave Dufort wasted no time at all in putting together their new outfit, along with Birmingham based vocalist Kal Swan (later of LA based acts Lion and Bad Moon Rising) and guitarist Steve Gibbs. By the time ‘Rough Justice’ surfaced in 1985, TYTAN had already split up. So in essence it was a collection of demos. A glimpse o what might have been. It’s really mind boggling that the band decided to call it a day. Because this is a fine release. Melodic yet defiant – one of the best examples of NWOBHM around. “Blind Men And Fools”, “Women On The Frontline”, the wacky “Ballad Of Edward Case” I simply dunno which song to pick and which song to leave. The album is chockfull of great riffs and great songs. Kal Swan’s vocals are simply awesome. This is an ABSOLUTE MUST for all fans of hard rock Don’t dare to miss this. Instead of buying some fancy special edition IRON MAIDEN single of doubtful quality, do yourself a favor and get something that will really rock your world. (A rather controversial thing to say but there I have said it. I ‘ll probably end up buying both anyway!)

5,5/6

There is a statue of a BUDDA in my driveway
    Rigid and stiff
    That's where the birds shit
    And he deserves it
    Me, like a blade of grass
    I bend profoundly
    No raindrops on me
    The wind blows 'round me

ta spaw ta spaeis ta spaei, spasimpa

den evazes link lew gw?

■■

...you will die like a dog for no good reason.