Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Πλεομορφισμός vs Μονομορφισμός

Δεν περίμενα να το πω ποτέ, αλλά είμαι με τον Καντιρού. Όχι λόγω αυτών που γράφει, αλλά γιά το υφάκι που του πουλάτε.
    "Σκοταδιστή". Λολ
    this is radio freedom.

Παρε μια και συ.
    when it goes to .999 then I rise and there I shine

βρε ουστ
    this is radio freedom.

φως στο σκοτάδι:

http://pup.princeton.edu/titles/5670.html

Ιn The Private Science of Louis Pasteur, Gerald Geison has written a controversial biography that finally penetrates the secrecy that has surrounded much of this legendary scientist's laboratory work. Geison uses Pasteur's laboratory notebooks, made available only recently, and his published papers to present a rich and full account of some of the most famous episodes in the history of science and their darker sides--for example, Pasteur's rush to develop the rabies vaccine and the human risks his haste entailed. The discrepancies between the public record and the "private science" of Louis Pasteur tell us as much about the man as they do about the highly competitive and political world he learned to master.

Although experimental ingenuity served Pasteur well, he also owed much of his success to the polemical virtuosity and political savvy that won him unprecedented financial support from the French state during the late nineteenth century. But a close look at his greatest achievements raises ethical issues. In the case of Pasteur's widely publicized anthrax vaccine, Geison reveals its initial defects and how Pasteur, in order to avoid embarrassment, secretly incorporated a rival colleague's findings to make his version of the vaccine work. Pasteur's premature decision to apply his rabies treatment to his first animal-bite victims raises even deeper questions and must be understood not only in terms of the ethics of human experimentation and scientific method, but also in light of Pasteur's shift from a biological theory of immunity to a chemical theory--similar to ones he had often disparaged when advanced by his competitors.

Through his vivid reconstruction of the professional rivalries as well as the national adulation that surrounded Pasteur, Geison places him in his wider cultural context. In giving Pasteur the close scrutiny his fame and achievements deserve, Geison's book offers compelling reading for anyone interested in the social and ethical dimensions of science.

Reviews:
    "Geison's controversial but stunning biography raises many important questions about the nature of science, past and present. . . . [I]t requires us to reevaluate our heroes and consider the complexities of science as it is actually created instead of merely clinging to comforting and heroic myths."--Elizabeth Fee, New England Journal of Medicine

"A fascinating and detailed account of much of Pasteur's life and of French science in the last century."--Lewis Wolpert, The New York Times Book Review

"This book is a scientific biography at its best. With a fine sense of judgment, clear exposition, and the sophistication of the seasoned scholar, Professor Geison has produced a tour-de-force. Unswayed by the extremes of social construction or the prejudices of an animus against science, he has nevertheless revealed the nature of the Pastorian legend and has traced out the manner of its construction. Pasteur emerges still the skillful experimentalist, but also a bold combatant, versed in the art of oratory, and so secretive about his day-to-day work that until his laboratory notebooks became available recently it was impossible to check the myths that have made the legend."--Robert Olby, University of Pittsburgh

". . . a well-documented, evenhanded biography that will be useful for many years to come. . . . a readable, enjoyable biography."--Booklist

"Geison makes Pasteur in many ways worthier of our admiration than the saintly figure of legend was."--The Economist

"In Geison's hands, Pasteur is shown to have been a consummate publicist and showman . . . He was also single minded, secretive and rather selfish. . . . He is, in short, the perfect anti-hero for our anti-heroic age."--W. F. Bynum, Nature
    τώρα πείστηκαν οι άπιστοι θωμάδες; Η θα συνεχίσουν να κάνουν quack quack (την πάπια);
    Ξέρετε γιατί όταν κάνετε μπάνιο στον Αμαζόνιο πρέπει να φοράτε... προφυλακτικό;

http://www.trollart.com/sound/candiru/index.html

http://rockandecology.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Khalkji
    Δεν περίμενα να το πω ποτέ, αλλά είμαι με τον Καντιρού. Όχι λόγω αυτών που γράφει, αλλά γιά το υφάκι που του πουλάτε.
    "Σκοταδιστή". Λολ
    Έχουν καταντήσει πολύ ερειστικά τα σχόλια ενάντια στον Candiru, αυτό είναι ένα δυστυχές γεγονός.

Απ'την άλλη, πολυσέλιδες διαφωνίες (αφού στην ουσία πραγματευόμαστε πάνω-κάτω τα ίδια θέματα περί ιατρικής σε τρία ήδη τόπικ, τα δύο 15+ σελίδων) είναι αναμενόμενο να εκφυλίζονται σε καβγάδες άνευ ουσίας.
    No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Εγώ πάντως έχω σπουδάσει γκομπιουτερζ. Δεν ξέρω, αν το έχει ψάξει κανείς, αλλά ο Shockley, εφευρέτης του τραντζίστορ, λέγεται ότι ήταν απ' τα μεγαλύτερα καθίκια ever.

Το τραντζίστορ βέβαια συνεχίζει να λειτουργεί.
    Hi, I 'm a signature Virus. Plz add me to your sig and help me conquer the world.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Derren Brown
    Laugh at me at school would they? Soon they will all pay. The fools! I'll teach them - I'll teach them to mock me. No I'll teach them not to mock me. Yes."

Quote Originally Posted by minus6
    Εγώ πάντως έχω σπουδάσει γκομπιουτερζ. Δεν ξέρω, αν το έχει ψάξει κανείς, αλλά ο Shockley, εφευρέτης του τραντζίστορ, λέγεται ότι ήταν απ' τα μεγαλύτερα καθίκια ever.

εφόσον η πολυπλοκότητα της ζωής μπορεί να αναχθεί και περισταλθεί σε ένα τρανζίστορ, μπορείς να πιστεύεις ό,τι θέλεις.

Μπορεί να επηρεαστεί από νεράκι φραπέ τότε όμως;
    Shall I say I was wrong, if I'm right?

Quote Originally Posted by Candiru

εφόσον η πολυπλοκότητα της ζωής μπορεί να αναχθεί και περισταλθεί σε ένα τρανζίστορ, μπορείς να πιστεύεις ό,τι θέλεις.
    Όταν τα επιχειρήματα καταρρέουν, όταν κάποιος δεν έχει να απαντήσει. Είναι λογικό Candiru. Λογικό και απόλυτα κατανοητό.
    Hi, I 'm a signature Virus. Plz add me to your sig and help me conquer the world.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laugh at me at school would they? Soon they will all pay. The fools! I'll teach them - I'll teach them to mock me. No I'll teach them not to mock me. Yes."

Δεν ξέρω, αν το έχει ψάξει κανείς, αλλά ο Shockley, εφευρέτης του τραντζίστορ, λέγεται ότι ήταν απ' τα μεγαλύτερα καθίκια ever.
    Toulaxiston den itan POUSTARA opws o Turing.
    ( avenger )
    Να φροντίζεις γογγύλια
    και να μ' αγαπάς

είναι διγαμία

πάει τελείωσε

εφόσον η πολυπλοκότητα της ζωής μπορεί να αναχθεί και περισταλθεί σε ένα τρανζίστορ, μπορείς να πιστεύεις ό,τι θέλεις.[/quote]

Όταν τα επιχειρήματα καταρρέουν, όταν κάποιος δεν έχει να απαντήσει. Είναι λογικό Candiru. Λογικό και απόλυτα κατανοητό.[/quote]

αν το ότι δεν βάζεις το μυαλ΄σου να σκεφτεί σημαίνει κατάρευση δικών μου επιχειρημάτων τι να πω. Σε ένα τρανζίστορ μπορείς να πριραματιστείς μέχρι να το κάψεις. Κάνεις το ίδιο σε ανθρώπους μόνο και μόνο για να επισπέυσεις τα αποτελέσματα του εμβολίου της λύσσας; Βάζεις σε τέτοιες περιπτώσεις πάνω από όλα την προσωπική δόξα και ανέλιξη;

Ένα τραντζίστορ δε σταματά να λειτουργεί επειδή ο εφευρέτης του ίσως να ήταν καθήκι. Ένα φάρμακο δε σταματά να θεραπεύει αν ο εφευρέτης του είναι παοκτζής ομοφυλόφιλος. ΓΙΑ ΤΟ ΘΕΟ ΔΗΛΑΔΗ!

Quote Originally Posted by Candiru
    φως στο σκοτάδι:

http://pup.princeton.edu/titles/5670.html

Ιn The Private Science of Louis Pasteur, Gerald Geison has written a controversial biography that finally penetrates the secrecy that has surrounded much of this legendary scientist's laboratory work. Geison uses Pasteur's laboratory notebooks, made available only recently, and his published papers to present a rich and full account of some of the most famous episodes in the history of science and their darker sides--for example, Pasteur's rush to develop the rabies vaccine and the human risks his haste entailed. The discrepancies between the public record and the "private science" of Louis Pasteur tell us as much about the man as they do about the highly competitive and political world he learned to master.

Although experimental ingenuity served Pasteur well, he also owed much of his success to the polemical virtuosity and political savvy that won him unprecedented financial support from the French state during the late nineteenth century. But a close look at his greatest achievements raises ethical issues. In the case of Pasteur's widely publicized anthrax vaccine, Geison reveals its initial defects and how Pasteur, in order to avoid embarrassment, secretly incorporated a rival colleague's findings to make his version of the vaccine work. Pasteur's premature decision to apply his rabies treatment to his first animal-bite victims raises even deeper questions and must be understood not only in terms of the ethics of human experimentation and scientific method, but also in light of Pasteur's shift from a biological theory of immunity to a chemical theory--similar to ones he had often disparaged when advanced by his competitors.

Through his vivid reconstruction of the professional rivalries as well as the national adulation that surrounded Pasteur, Geison places him in his wider cultural context. In giving Pasteur the close scrutiny his fame and achievements deserve, Geison's book offers compelling reading for anyone interested in the social and ethical dimensions of science.

Reviews:
    "Geison's controversial but stunning biography raises many important questions about the nature of science, past and present. . . . [I]t requires us to reevaluate our heroes and consider the complexities of science as it is actually created instead of merely clinging to comforting and heroic myths."--Elizabeth Fee, New England Journal of Medicine

"A fascinating and detailed account of much of Pasteur's life and of French science in the last century."--Lewis Wolpert, The New York Times Book Review

"This book is a scientific biography at its best. With a fine sense of judgment, clear exposition, and the sophistication of the seasoned scholar, Professor Geison has produced a tour-de-force. Unswayed by the extremes of social construction or the prejudices of an animus against science, he has nevertheless revealed the nature of the Pastorian legend and has traced out the manner of its construction. Pasteur emerges still the skillful experimentalist, but also a bold combatant, versed in the art of oratory, and so secretive about his day-to-day work that until his laboratory notebooks became available recently it was impossible to check the myths that have made the legend."--Robert Olby, University of Pittsburgh

". . . a well-documented, evenhanded biography that will be useful for many years to come. . . . a readable, enjoyable biography."--Booklist

"Geison makes Pasteur in many ways worthier of our admiration than the saintly figure of legend was."--The Economist

"In Geison's hands, Pasteur is shown to have been a consummate publicist and showman . . . He was also single minded, secretive and rather selfish. . . . He is, in short, the perfect anti-hero for our anti-heroic age."--W. F. Bynum, Nature
    τώρα πείστηκαν οι άπιστοι θωμάδες; Η θα συνεχίσουν να κάνουν quack quack (την πάπια);
    Eimai daimonios omws! :

-

Eisenberg, D.M., Kessler, R. C., Fee E., Foster, C., Norlock, F. E., Calkins, D.
    R., & Delbanco, T. L. (1992). Unconventional medicine in the United
    States. New England Journal of Medicine. 328(4), 246-252.

This is the telephone survey on alternative medicine what quite a few
    authors are calling complementary medicine but not necessarily holistic
    medicine. The only non-Western treatments listed is acupuncture.
    The researchers did not try to define "folk remedies", "faith healing"
    or "herbal medicine" all of which could fall into regional categories.

The other therapies include: homeopathy, relaxation techniques,
    chiropractic, massage, imagery, spiritual healing, commercial weight-loss
    programs, lifestyle diets (macrobiotics), megavitamin therapy, self-help
    groups, energy healing, biofeedback, hypnosis, exercise, and prayer.

One thing I think you will all agree is: homeopathy is not a non-Western
    system. For those of you who haven't read much about it, homeopathy
    was conceived and developed by Samuel Hanemann, a German physician who
    wrote Organon der rationellen Heilkunde in 1810

-

Robert Olby

olbyr@comcast.net
    Research Professor. Formerly at the University of Leeds, UK, Robert Olby is known as a historian of nineteenth and twentieth century biology, his special fields being genetics and molecular biology. His best known works are The Origins of Mendelism (1966, 1985) and The Path to the Double Helix (1974, 1994), but he has published widely in historical journals, and more recently in Nature, Nature Reviews Genetics, and Endeavour . He has prepared a history of biology for the general reader, and is currently completing the official biography of the late Dr. Francis Crick with support from the National Science Foundation and the award of an Archives Fellowship at Churchill College, Cambridge. With his colleagues in Leeds he edited The Companion to the History of Modern Science (1990).

Books & Papers :
    Charles Darwin's Manuscript of pangenesis', British Journal of the History of Science , 1 (1963), 251-263

The “Mad Pursuit”, X-ray crystallographers' Search for the Structure of Haemoglobin', HPLS , 7(1985), 171-193.

The Dimensions of Scientific Controversy: The Biometric-Mendelian Debate', BJHS, 22 (198, 299-320.

Scientists and Bureaucrats in the Establishment of the John Innes Horticultural Institute under William Bateson', Annals of Science, 48 (1989), 497-510.

Social Imperialism and State Support for Agricultural Research in Edwardian Britain', Annals of Science, 48 (1991), 509-526

‘Too Young for Gardening': 25(2003), Inspiring Science. Jim Watson and the Age of DNA' , edited by John Inglis et al, Nature 426 (2003), 229-230

Kai ftanoume loipon se ena telma (sic!). Amfisbhteis ta apotelesmata twn ereunwn tou paster epeidh htan ola auta pou aneferes. Anti8etws,otan emeis amfisbhtoume ta links sou, pisteueis pws koitame to dentro kai oxi to dasos. As synexisoume loipon auto to paixnidi,mporw na brw syndeseis me Alternative 8ewries kai nootropies gia ka8e link/atomo pou postareis. Opws blepeis agnow to oti ekanes post ws trantaxto epixeirhma ena Book review pou afora thn proswpikothta tou paster gia na mas katatropwseis kai na synexiseis ston xaroumeno dromo ths hmima8eias.
    I'm driving down my way to digest yesterday
    Under rain clouds towards the sundown to be devoured
    And then come out alive
    Dripping wet but purified
    Ready to bear the memories of golden hours

εσείς τόχετε δει με όρους κατατρόπωσης, εγώ απλώς παραθέτω την εναλλακτική σκοπιά, την απομυθοποίηση, το ότι τα πράγματα δεν είναι απαραιτητα έτσι, κλπ, κλπ.

Εσεις απορρίπτετε ipso facto κάθε τι εναλλακτικό. Μόνο που θα βρείτε κάπου αυτη τη λέξη ΕΙΝΑΙ ΑΠΑΤΗ, ΕΙΝΑΙ ΑΝΑΞΙΟΠΙΣΤΟ τελεία και παύλα. και ΕΣΕΙΣ αμβισβητήσατε τα αποσπάσματα από το βιβλίο που παρέθεσα αρχικά σχολιάζοντας το ποιόν των σάιτς και εγώ μετά παρουσίασα την οριτζινάλ έκδοσή του.

Και δεν θα επέμενα, αν ΔΕΝ είχα θετικές προσωπικές εμπειρίες. Ανάθεμά με αν ένας από εσάς ξέρει πραγματικά σε τι επιτίθεται με τέτοιο μένος, διότι αν δεν το κατέχεις, αν δεν έχεις την παραμικρή επαφή με αυτό, ΔΕΝ το γνωρίζεις, τουλάχιστον το απορρίπτεις με κάποια μετριοπάθεια, όπως εγώ θεραπείες με τις οποίες δεν είχα καμία επαφή (βοτανοθερεπεία, αρωματοθερεπεία, κλπ)

Ε πές μας πως έχεις και περισσότερη εμπειρία πάνω σε ιατρικά θέματα απο μας.
    Vae Victus, Deus Ex Machina και Mastodon και σε σένα.
    I'm driving down my way to digest yesterday
    Under rain clouds towards the sundown to be devoured
    And then come out alive
    Dripping wet but purified
    Ready to bear the memories of golden hours